Pollution Prevention: A Federal Strategy for Action
Federal Plan At A Glance - Goals And Actions Aimed At Achieving Results
Within the federal government - Institutionalize pollution prevention across all federal government activities.
- Incorporate pollution prevention into federal legislation.
- Establish and implement green policies.
- Establish a Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development to advance pollution prevention in the federal government.
- Integrate pollution prevention into departmental policies and programs.
With other governments - Foster a national pollution prevention effort.
- Review legislation, regulations and policy for opportunities to harmonize approaches to pollution prevention.
- Develop practical tools, such as guidelines and codes of practice, to enable people to implement pollution prevention at an operational level.
- Educate the public about pollution prevention and train relevant groups in the technical aspects of pollution prevention.
With the private sector - Achieve a climate in which pollution prevention becomes a major consideration in industrial activities.
- Develop innovative pollution prevention programs.
- Promote pollution prevention through refocused research, development and demonstration initiatives.
- Promote the adoption of sustainable production in industrial and manufacturing processes.
- Implement economic instruments that will result in pollution prevention.
- Help small and medium-sized enterprises improve their environmental performance.
With all Canadians - Provide access to the information and tools necessary to implement pollution prevention practices.
- Provide information that illustrates how pollution prevention fits into daily activities.
- Create a national pollution prevention clearinghouse.
- Encourage consumers to use their purchasing power to promote pollution prevention.
With the international community - Participate in international pollution prevention initiatives.
- Stimulate a shift to pollution prevention in international organizations.
- Incorporate pollution prevention into international standards.
- Advance pollution prevention through international protocols and agreements
- Date modified: