This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Secrets of the St. Lawrence
The wind in your sails - Solar energy
The sun is shining brightly. The air is calm. The smell of coffee lingers in the air. It looks like a beautiful morning.
Gradually, a cool breeze picks up over the water. It's time to hoist the sails if you want to enjoy a few hours of good sailing wind. The sea breeze is in your favour.
The sea breeze is the result of the sun shining on the shore. As the land heats up, the air becomes lighter and rises. The cooler air from the sea moves in to take its place.
Initially, the breeze is perpendicular to the shore. Then, as it picks up speed, it gradually shifts to the right and ends up blowing against the shore at an angle.
It disappears shortly before sunset.
On the Basse-Côte-Nord, it may be felt as far as 15 nautical miles offshore and may reach 25 knots.
When the sea breeze hits the opening of a steep valley, it is strengthened by the anabatic wind. This is a wind that flows up the valley, as it is created by the warm air rising up the hillsides.
The anabatic wind is stronger when the mouth of the valley faces south.
- 1. Fore to aft
- 2. What Cartier missed out on
- 3. Conversion
- 4. The Secrets of the St Lawrence
- 5. The wind in your sails - Hard a-port!
- 6. The wind in your sails - Fast or slow?
- 7. The wind in your sails - The wind's paths
- 8. The wind in your sails - Against the wall
- 9. The wind in your sails - Solar energy
- 10. The wind in your sails - Under the stars
- 11. The wind and the waves - The windway
- 12. The wind and the waves - Wave wars
- 13. The wind and the waves - Graveyards
- 14. The wind and the waves - Conflicting seas
- 15. Symbols
- 16. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Legend
- 17. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Calling all sailors
- 18. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... Hot spots
- 19. Local listings - Québec - Pointe-des-Monts
- 20. Local listings - Pointe-des-Monts - Cap Whittle
- 21. Local listings - Cap Whittle - Blanc-Sablon
- 22. Local listings - Gaspésie - Baie des Chaleurs
- 23. Local listings - Îles de la Madeleine
- 24. Sailors take warning - White-outs
- 25. Sailors take warning - The sky above us
- 26. Sailors take warning - Keeping a weather eye
- 27. Sailors take warning - Fair weather and foul
- 28. Sailors take warning - The unexpected
- 29. The four seasons - Wind aplenty
- 30. The four seasons - Vessel icing
- 31. The four seasons - Ice cycle
- 32. Extra - Beaufort
- 33. Extra - Handy references
- 34. Extra - Old Salts and Sea-dogs
- 35. Extra - The crew
- 36. Extra - A to Z
- 37. Extra - Stations
- 38. Extra - Areas
- 39. Credits
- Date modified: