This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Secrets of the St. Lawrence
The wind in your sails - Against the wall
- "We're coming up to the Péninsule de la Gaspésie. With those mountains and high cliffs, this Northwesterly wind will have to turn Westerly. If we stay offshore a few nautical miles, we should get to Mont-Louis a lot faster. With this wind, it would be a lot harder if we hugged the Charlevoix shore."
When the wind strikes a steep shore at an angle, it is deflected along the shoreline and strengthens. This increase in wind speed results as the air piles up.
The steeper the barrier, the stronger the wind and the more pronounced the effect. It may be felt as far as ten nautical miles off the Péninsule de la Gaspésie.
Close to the shore, the wind will be very turbulent because of this barrier effect.
The situation is very different if the wind is blowing off the top of a cliff. The wind will blow toward the sea, but when it meets the sea it will eddy back toward the cliff just where you would have thought that you were sheltered from the wind.
Farther offshore, the wind will bounce along the water's surface for a distance of about 7 to 10 times the height of the cliff.
These eddy and bouncing effects create very turbulent winds.
- 1. Fore to aft
- 2. What Cartier missed out on
- 3. Conversion
- 4. The Secrets of the St Lawrence
- 5. The wind in your sails - Hard a-port!
- 6. The wind in your sails - Fast or slow?
- 7. The wind in your sails - The wind's paths
- 8. The wind in your sails - Against the wall
- 9. The wind in your sails - Solar energy
- 10. The wind in your sails - Under the stars
- 11. The wind and the waves - The windway
- 12. The wind and the waves - Wave wars
- 13. The wind and the waves - Graveyards
- 14. The wind and the waves - Conflicting seas
- 15. Symbols
- 16. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Legend
- 17. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Calling all sailors
- 18. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... Hot spots
- 19. Local listings - Québec - Pointe-des-Monts
- 20. Local listings - Pointe-des-Monts - Cap Whittle
- 21. Local listings - Cap Whittle - Blanc-Sablon
- 22. Local listings - Gaspésie - Baie des Chaleurs
- 23. Local listings - Îles de la Madeleine
- 24. Sailors take warning - White-outs
- 25. Sailors take warning - The sky above us
- 26. Sailors take warning - Keeping a weather eye
- 27. Sailors take warning - Fair weather and foul
- 28. Sailors take warning - The unexpected
- 29. The four seasons - Wind aplenty
- 30. The four seasons - Vessel icing
- 31. The four seasons - Ice cycle
- 32. Extra - Beaufort
- 33. Extra - Handy references
- 34. Extra - Old Salts and Sea-dogs
- 35. Extra - The crew
- 36. Extra - A to Z
- 37. Extra - Stations
- 38. Extra - Areas
- 39. Credits
- Date modified: