This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Secrets of the St. Lawrence
The wind in your sails - The wind's paths
- "Be careful around Tadoussac. You think the Northwesterly wind is strong here? It's three times as strong at the mouth of the Saguenay. It's a regular cannon there."
The wind finds its own paths. They may sometimes be as wide as immense valleys, and other times merely a passage between two islands or two shores.
When the wind is blowing over a chain of mountains, it may come shooting out of a valley with great force. Mariners on the Saguenay actually call it THE CANNON.
These natural channels may make it seem that the wind is coming out of nowhere, but that isn't really so. It is merely subject to local deviation.
Before navigating in an unfamiliar area, be sure to take a look at the topography.
This effect corresponds to the size of the funnel created by the topography. The steeper and closer the banks or shores, the more the wind will be forced into a narrow passage and the more it will accelerate. It may even double in speed.
Gusts of wind, strong funnelling effects, steep shores and mountains all add up to very hazardous conditions.
- 1. Fore to aft
- 2. What Cartier missed out on
- 3. Conversion
- 4. The Secrets of the St Lawrence
- 5. The wind in your sails - Hard a-port!
- 6. The wind in your sails - Fast or slow?
- 7. The wind in your sails - The wind's paths
- 8. The wind in your sails - Against the wall
- 9. The wind in your sails - Solar energy
- 10. The wind in your sails - Under the stars
- 11. The wind and the waves - The windway
- 12. The wind and the waves - Wave wars
- 13. The wind and the waves - Graveyards
- 14. The wind and the waves - Conflicting seas
- 15. Symbols
- 16. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Legend
- 17. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Calling all sailors
- 18. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... Hot spots
- 19. Local listings - Québec - Pointe-des-Monts
- 20. Local listings - Pointe-des-Monts - Cap Whittle
- 21. Local listings - Cap Whittle - Blanc-Sablon
- 22. Local listings - Gaspésie - Baie des Chaleurs
- 23. Local listings - Îles de la Madeleine
- 24. Sailors take warning - White-outs
- 25. Sailors take warning - The sky above us
- 26. Sailors take warning - Keeping a weather eye
- 27. Sailors take warning - Fair weather and foul
- 28. Sailors take warning - The unexpected
- 29. The four seasons - Wind aplenty
- 30. The four seasons - Vessel icing
- 31. The four seasons - Ice cycle
- 32. Extra - Beaufort
- 33. Extra - Handy references
- 34. Extra - Old Salts and Sea-dogs
- 35. Extra - The crew
- 36. Extra - A to Z
- 37. Extra - Stations
- 38. Extra - Areas
- 39. Credits
- Date modified: