This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Secrets of the St. Lawrence
The wind in your sails - Hard a-port!
The wind in your sails (PDF; 1.91 MB)
- "With the wind at our backs like this, we're best to go to the left around the island. There's plenty of clearance over the shoals and we'll be able to go faster. The wind is amazing! There's no speed limit, but you can depend on it to follow its own rules."
Whenever the wind encounters an obstacle, it tends to shift to the left, and to strengthen.
This is true in the case of islands, capes and points.
When the wind is with you, it's always tempting to go along with it and sail around an island to the left. Just be careful to check your charts to make sure you won't find any unpleasant surprises in the form of shoals.
Slower to the right
Obviously, in such a case, there won't be much wind to the right of the obstacle. In the lee of the island, you may run into turbulence for quite a while, but you can avoid it by staying very close to the shore.
High above the earth's surface, the wind blows freely. Over the ocean, friction between the water and the wind slows it down slightly and deflects it to the left.
The braking and deflection effects are stronger over the land, since there is greater friction between the land and the wind.
- 1. Fore to aft
- 2. What Cartier missed out on
- 3. Conversion
- 4. The Secrets of the St Lawrence
- 5. The wind in your sails - Hard a-port!
- 6. The wind in your sails - Fast or slow?
- 7. The wind in your sails - The wind's paths
- 8. The wind in your sails - Against the wall
- 9. The wind in your sails - Solar energy
- 10. The wind in your sails - Under the stars
- 11. The wind and the waves - The windway
- 12. The wind and the waves - Wave wars
- 13. The wind and the waves - Graveyards
- 14. The wind and the waves - Conflicting seas
- 15. Symbols
- 16. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Legend
- 17. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Calling all sailors
- 18. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... Hot spots
- 19. Local listings - Québec - Pointe-des-Monts
- 20. Local listings - Pointe-des-Monts - Cap Whittle
- 21. Local listings - Cap Whittle - Blanc-Sablon
- 22. Local listings - Gaspésie - Baie des Chaleurs
- 23. Local listings - Îles de la Madeleine
- 24. Sailors take warning - White-outs
- 25. Sailors take warning - The sky above us
- 26. Sailors take warning - Keeping a weather eye
- 27. Sailors take warning - Fair weather and foul
- 28. Sailors take warning - The unexpected
- 29. The four seasons - Wind aplenty
- 30. The four seasons - Vessel icing
- 31. The four seasons - Ice cycle
- 32. Extra - Beaufort
- 33. Extra - Handy references
- 34. Extra - Old Salts and Sea-dogs
- 35. Extra - The crew
- 36. Extra - A to Z
- 37. Extra - Stations
- 38. Extra - Areas
- 39. Credits
- Date modified: