This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Secrets of the St. Lawrence
Local listings - Cap Whittle - Blanc-Sablon
Cap Whittle - Blanc Sablon (PDF; 68 KB)
This section marks the Eastern boundary of both Québec and the St Lawrence. It leads directly to the Strait of Belle Isle.
Its shoreline is jagged and fairly low, dotted over most of its length with a string of islands and islets. Local effects are marked here, including channelling and katabatic winds in some of the valleys.
The tides are weak, but the narrow passages between the islands create strong currents.
Up to 20 to 25 nautical miles offshore, high seas are accentuated by the shallow bottom, less than 35 metres deep.
In addition to creating high seas, the Southwesterly wind is strengthened by the funnel effect produced between Québec and Newfoundland shores.
Finally, this section's trademark is surely its famous persistent fog. The closer one gets to the Strait, the greater the risk of encountering such fog.
96. Cap Whittle
Steep waves created by channelling and funnelling effects, between Île du Lac and Cap Whittle lighthouse.
97. Île Galibois
Strong swell accentuated by ebb tide, between Île Galibois and Îles Sainte-Marie. Channelling and funnelling effects.
Advisable to avoid this area.
98. Îles Sainte-Marie
Winds gale force out of Southwest, Southeast, South and particularly East
Violent, breaking seas up to 20 nautical miles offshore. Area scattered with reefs and shoals.
99. Chevery - Rivière Nétagamiou
Winds Southerly or Southwesterly, at ebb tide
Sharply breaking, short waves.
100. Cap Mackinnon (Île du Petit Mécatina)
Breaking seas offshore. Corner effect. Shoals.
Advisable to avoid this area. Stay more than 3 nautical miles offshore.
101. Baie des Moutons
Winds Southwesterly, close to point
Strong, breaking waves, sometimes impassable. Sea bottom rises abruptly.
Winds gale force from any direction, except Northwest
Uneven bottoms up to 10 or 20 nautical miles offshore.
Very difficult seas.
102. Île du Gros Mécatina
Strongly breaking seas between Île du Gros Mécatina and Île Plate. Channelling effect.
103. Île aux Trois Collines
Heavy seas. Pronounced corner effect.
104. Baie de Jacques-Cartier to Baie du Vieux Fort
Strong wind channelled by shore up to several nautical miles offshore. Particularly strong at the heads of Mistanoque, Napetipi and des Homards bays.
105. Baie de Brador
High waves. Access difficult. In poor weather, avoid passing between Île du Bassin and shore.
106. Banc Perroquet to Île Greenly
Winds Southwesterly at rising tide
Very strong chop.
107. Baie de Blanc-Sablon
Winds Westerly or Southwesterly, at rising tide
Heavy, confused seas in channel between bay and Île au Bois.
108. Strait of Belle Isle
Very strong swell at Western entrance, more pronounced when against current. During summer: risk of enormous fog banks in strait.
Persistent fog close to Labrador coast.
Fog in entire strait. Newfoundland coast normally clears first.
Winds Southwesterly or Northeasterly, against current
- 1. Fore to aft
- 2. What Cartier missed out on
- 3. Conversion
- 4. The Secrets of the St Lawrence
- 5. The wind in your sails - Hard a-port!
- 6. The wind in your sails - Fast or slow?
- 7. The wind in your sails - The wind's paths
- 8. The wind in your sails - Against the wall
- 9. The wind in your sails - Solar energy
- 10. The wind in your sails - Under the stars
- 11. The wind and the waves - The windway
- 12. The wind and the waves - Wave wars
- 13. The wind and the waves - Graveyards
- 14. The wind and the waves - Conflicting seas
- 15. Symbols
- 16. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Legend
- 17. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Calling all sailors
- 18. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... Hot spots
- 19. Local listings - Québec - Pointe-des-Monts
- 20. Local listings - Pointe-des-Monts - Cap Whittle
- 21. Local listings - Cap Whittle - Blanc-Sablon
- 22. Local listings - Gaspésie - Baie des Chaleurs
- 23. Local listings - Îles de la Madeleine
- 24. Sailors take warning - White-outs
- 25. Sailors take warning - The sky above us
- 26. Sailors take warning - Keeping a weather eye
- 27. Sailors take warning - Fair weather and foul
- 28. Sailors take warning - The unexpected
- 29. The four seasons - Wind aplenty
- 30. The four seasons - Vessel icing
- 31. The four seasons - Ice cycle
- 32. Extra - Beaufort
- 33. Extra - Handy references
- 34. Extra - Old Salts and Sea-dogs
- 35. Extra - The crew
- 36. Extra - A to Z
- 37. Extra - Stations
- 38. Extra - Areas
- 39. Credits
- Date modified: