This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Secrets of the St. Lawrence
What Cartier missed out on
What Cartier missed out on (PDF; 7 KB)
A rather odd introduction, you might say. But we couldn't think of a better way to lead into this guide, designed especially for mariners on the St Lawrence.
The guide was prepared by Environment Canada meteorologists in Québec, with the assistance of many seasoned mariners, fishermen and recreational sailors. The guide contains:
- full details on wind and sea conditions
- a description of the geography of the St Lawrence
- a listing of some 150 locations in which wind and sea combine to create special, and sometimes dangerous, situations
- the main warning signs indicating a change in weather
- information on marine weather forecasts
- details on how to obtain forecasts directly and quickly.
The index and maps are the key to this guide.
Much more than just a title, The Secrets of the St Lawrence are what make mariners' lives a daily challenge, and give recreational sailors the thrills they seek.
For anyone who doesn't know the St Lawrence, it is one of the most inviting and awe-inspiring rivers in the world. If you wish to conquer it, you must know its secrets.
- 1. Fore to aft
- 2. What Cartier missed out on
- 3. Conversion
- 4. The Secrets of the St Lawrence
- 5. The wind in your sails - Hard a-port!
- 6. The wind in your sails - Fast or slow?
- 7. The wind in your sails - The wind's paths
- 8. The wind in your sails - Against the wall
- 9. The wind in your sails - Solar energy
- 10. The wind in your sails - Under the stars
- 11. The wind and the waves - The windway
- 12. The wind and the waves - Wave wars
- 13. The wind and the waves - Graveyards
- 14. The wind and the waves - Conflicting seas
- 15. Symbols
- 16. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Legend
- 17. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Calling all sailors
- 18. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... Hot spots
- 19. Local listings - Québec - Pointe-des-Monts
- 20. Local listings - Pointe-des-Monts - Cap Whittle
- 21. Local listings - Cap Whittle - Blanc-Sablon
- 22. Local listings - Gaspésie - Baie des Chaleurs
- 23. Local listings - Îles de la Madeleine
- 24. Sailors take warning - White-outs
- 25. Sailors take warning - The sky above us
- 26. Sailors take warning - Keeping a weather eye
- 27. Sailors take warning - Fair weather and foul
- 28. Sailors take warning - The unexpected
- 29. The four seasons - Wind aplenty
- 30. The four seasons - Vessel icing
- 31. The four seasons - Ice cycle
- 32. Extra - Beaufort
- 33. Extra - Handy references
- 34. Extra - Old Salts and Sea-dogs
- 35. Extra - The crew
- 36. Extra - A to Z
- 37. Extra - Stations
- 38. Extra - Areas
- 39. Credits
- Date modified: