This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Secrets of the St. Lawrence
The wind and the waves - Wave wars
Petite rivière Saint-François
- "I don't know. With this Southwesterly wind, who'd be bold enough to head out into the rising tide. It's absolute hell in the Chenal Nord!"
Wind opposing current
There are 3 types of currents in the St Lawrence and the Gulf: ocean currents, tidal currents and river currents.
Of the ocean currents, the Gaspé Current has the largest effect on waves.
But the influence of the tidal and river currents is much stronger. And when the wind enters the picture, the waves can change the sea's behaviour, sometimes dangerously.
If the current and the wind are moving in different directions, waves will build and shorten. Very quickly, the water may become a dangerous place to be.
When 2 currents meet or cross, even when the water is calm, they will cause the surface of the water to literally boil. This turbulence is called rip. It looks as though the water is breaking over rocks or the Loch Ness Monster is about to surface. An impressive sight, but not a dangerous one.
But as soon as the wind begins to blow against the current, the situation will quickly deteriorate. The waves will be confused, steep and breaking. The resulting chop creates absolute chaos!
- 1. Fore to aft
- 2. What Cartier missed out on
- 3. Conversion
- 4. The Secrets of the St Lawrence
- 5. The wind in your sails - Hard a-port!
- 6. The wind in your sails - Fast or slow?
- 7. The wind in your sails - The wind's paths
- 8. The wind in your sails - Against the wall
- 9. The wind in your sails - Solar energy
- 10. The wind in your sails - Under the stars
- 11. The wind and the waves - The windway
- 12. The wind and the waves - Wave wars
- 13. The wind and the waves - Graveyards
- 14. The wind and the waves - Conflicting seas
- 15. Symbols
- 16. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Legend
- 17. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... - Calling all sailors
- 18. The St Lawrence, from 1 to... Hot spots
- 19. Local listings - Québec - Pointe-des-Monts
- 20. Local listings - Pointe-des-Monts - Cap Whittle
- 21. Local listings - Cap Whittle - Blanc-Sablon
- 22. Local listings - Gaspésie - Baie des Chaleurs
- 23. Local listings - Îles de la Madeleine
- 24. Sailors take warning - White-outs
- 25. Sailors take warning - The sky above us
- 26. Sailors take warning - Keeping a weather eye
- 27. Sailors take warning - Fair weather and foul
- 28. Sailors take warning - The unexpected
- 29. The four seasons - Wind aplenty
- 30. The four seasons - Vessel icing
- 31. The four seasons - Ice cycle
- 32. Extra - Beaufort
- 33. Extra - Handy references
- 34. Extra - Old Salts and Sea-dogs
- 35. Extra - The crew
- 36. Extra - A to Z
- 37. Extra - Stations
- 38. Extra - Areas
- 39. Credits
- Date modified: