Submitting a Request, Where Do I Start?
There are two types of requests:
- Access to Information Request when seeking information not of a personal nature.
- Personal Information Request when seeking information of a personal nature.
Narrowing your request will produce faster results and keep costs down. Be sure to fully describe the information you are seeking and provide any relevant details that will help us to locate the information.
You can request the information in two ways:
- A formal request is a request made in writing to the government institution that controls the record, which indicates you are requesting access under one of the Acts (either the Access to Information Act or the Privacy Act).
- An informal request for previously released information can be submitted in the form of a signed letter stating clearly what information is being requested. There are no fees and no legislated deadlines associated with informal requests. There is also no recourse for a requester in the event they wish to lodge a complaint.
If you would like to make a formal request under the Access to Information Act or the Privacy Act, follow the instructions listed in the "How Do I Submit a Formal Access to Information or Privacy Request" section.
Does it cost anything?
There is a $5.00 application fee for each formal request filed under the Access to Information Act (money order or cheque payable to the Receiver General of Canada). Payments can also be made by credit card by contacting Environment Canada's Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) Office. This fee includes five hours of search time. There may be additional fees or charges applied depending on the request i.e. for search and preparation time in excess of five hours and/or copies.
There are no fees for accessing your own personal information under the Privacy Act.
All fees must be paid in full before information will be disclosed to you.
How long does it take?
The department has 30 calendar days in which to respond to a formal request. If a lengthy or complex search is required to locate the information or if consultations are necessary, the department is allowed an extension beyond the initial 30 calendar day response time. You will be notified in writing of any extensions.
How Do I Submit a Formal Access to Information or Privacy Request?
Print and fill out the Access to Information Request Form or the Personal Information Request Form. Each Access to Information request must be accompanied by the $5.00 application fee. Payment may be in the form of a cheque or money order payable to the Receiver General of Canada.
There are no application fees for requests made under the Privacy Act.
Alternatively, you may submit a letter containing the following:
- A statement that you are making a request pursuant to the Access to Information Act or the Privacy Act;
- A description, as detailed as possible, of the records you wish to access (if necessary, consult Environment Canada's Info Source chapter)
- Your name, complete address, telephone number; and
- Date and signature.
NEW - Submitting an Online Request
Using the ATIP Online Request service, is a faster, easier and more convenient way to submit access to information or privacy requests. Apply online today to save time and postal fees.
Access to Information Request Form
Personal Information Request Form
Send your request and fee (if applicable) to:
10 Wellington, 4th floor
Gatineau (Québec) K1A 0H3
- Date modified: