Help the Government of Canada organize its website!
Complete an anonymous 5-minute questionnaire. Start now.
Hexachlorobutadiene, or HCBD, has never been commercially produced in Canada. Formerly, the substance was imported into Canada for use as a solvent, but it is no longer imported. There are no natural sources of HCBD in the environment.
CAS (Chemical Abstracts Service) registry number: 87-68-3
For more information on this substance, please visit the Chemical Substances website.
- Priority Substances List Assessment Report
- Addition of Hexachlorobutadiene to the Virtual Elimination List
- CEPA 1999 Schedule 1 - List of Toxic Substances - This substance has been added to the List of Toxic Substances. It is entering or may enter the environment in a quantity or concentration or under conditions that: a) have or may have an immediate or long-term harmful effect on the environment or its biological diversity.
- Virtual elimination of the substance (Track 1) under the Toxic Substances Management Policy
This substance is entering the environment from the following source(s):
Risk Management Strategy
Click on the following link to view strategies and actions recommended to manage risks associated with the substance:
Risk Management Tool(s)
Tool(s) developed to manage risks associated with the substance:
Risk Management Supporting Activities
Activities supporting the development or implementation of the risk management tool(s):
Forms related to the Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2012:
- Schedule 3: Information Related to the Use of Certain Toxic Substances in a Laboratory for Analysis, in Scientific Research or as a Laboratory Analytical Standard
- Schedule 4: Information Required in an Application for a Permit or an Application for Renewal of a Permit
Consultation (past and present) on the substance:
- Environment Canada's Response to Comments resulting from the Canada Gazette, Part I publication of the proposed addition of hexachlorobutadiene (HCBD) to the Virtual Elimination List
- Proposed Regulations Respecting the Total, Partial and Conditional Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances (archived consultation document)
- Revised Draft of the Proposed Addition of Hexachlorobutadiene to the Virtual Elimination List
- Revised Draft: Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2005 (Repealed)
- The Great Lakes Binational Toxics Strategy
Email : GR-RM@ec.gc.ca
Fax : 819-994-0007
Chemicals Management Division
351 St. Joseph Blvd.
- Date Modified: