Trichloroethylene (TCE) is primarily used as a solvent in the vapour-degreasing and cold-cleaning of fabricated metal parts, and in smaller amounts in dry-cleaning operations, paints and paint removers, and various household products. Domestic consumption is supplied by importation. Due to the dispersive and non-destructive nature of its uses, the majority of the trichloroethylene consumed is expected to enter the Canadian environment, primarily the atmosphere. Trichloroethylene has been detected in ambient air and in the air inside homes in Canada, as well as, occasionally, in drinking water and surface waters across the country. It has also been detected in groundwaters as a result of inappropriate disposal.
CAS (Chemical Abstract Service) registry number: 79-01-6
- Priority Substances List Assessment Report
- Order Adding Toxic Substances to Schedule 1 to the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999
- CEPA 1999 Schedule 1 - List of Toxic Substances - This substance has been added to the List of Toxic Substances. It is entering or may enter the environment in a quantity or concentration or under conditions that:
a) have or may have an immediate or long-term harmful effect on the environment or its biological diversity.
c) constitute or may constitute a danger in Canada to human life or health.
- Full life cycle management of the substance (Track 2) under the Toxic Substances Management Policy
This substance is entering the environment from the following source(s):
Risk Management Tool(s)
Tool(s) developed to manage risks associated with the substance:
Consultation (past and present) on the substance:
- DRAFT - Canadian Soil Quality Guidelines for the Protection of Environmental and Human Health - Trichloroethylene
- Solvent Degreasing Regulations - Information Centre
- Notice with Respect to Trichloroethylene and Tetrachloroethylene
- National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) - Information Centre
- North American Commission for Environmental Cooperation Web Site
Email address: GR-RM@ec.gc.ca
Fax number: (819) 994-0007
Chemicals Management Division
200 Sacré Coeur Blvd.
- Date Modified: