Help the Government of Canada organize its website!
Complete an anonymous 5-minute questionnaire. Start now.
2-Butoxyethanol is not currently produced in Canada. It is imported for use mainly as a component of formulations, as part of consumer products or manufactured articles, and as a chemical processing aid. Based on the National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI), most reported environmental releases are to the atmosphere, with some minor releases to water.
CAS (Chemical Abstract Service) registry number: 111-76-2
For more information on this substance, please visit the Chemical Substances website.
- Priority Substances List Assessment Report
- Order Adding Toxic Substances to Schedule 1 to the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999
- CEPA 1999 Schedule 1 - List of Toxic Substances - This substance has been added to the List of Toxic Substances. It is entering or may enter the environment in a quantity or concentration or under conditions that:
c) constitute or may constitute a danger in Canada to human life or health.
- Full life cycle management of the substance (Track 2) under the Toxic Substances Management Policy
This substance is entering the environment from the following source(s):
Risk Management Strategy
Click on the following link to view strategies and actions recommended to manage risks associated with the substance:
Risk Management Tool(s)
Tool(s) developed to manage risks associated with the substance:
- 2-Butoxyethanol Regulations
- Environmental Performance Agreement - Canadian Paint and Coatings Association
- Reference method for the analysis of 2-butoxyethanol (2-BE) and other glycol ethers (GEs) in selected products (automotive and household cleaners, paints, paint strippers and solvents)
Risk Management Supporting Activities
Activities supporting the development or implementation of the risk management tool(s):
Consultation (past and present) on the substance:
- Response to Comments on the Proposed 2-Butoxyethanol Regulations
- 2-Butoxyethanol Information Session - Consultation Report
- Proposed Regulations Respecting 2-Butoxyethanol - (Consultation Period Closed)
- Environment Canada's Response to Comments Resulting from the Working Draft on the Proposed Regulations for 2-Butoxyethanol (June 2005)
- 2-Butoxyethanol (2-BE) Consultation Report of the Stakeholder Meeting held on November 18, 2004
- Stakeholder Consultation on the Risk Management for 2-Butoxyethanol
- 2-Butoxyethanol (2-BE) Consultation Report of the Stakeholder Meeting held on June 8, 2004
- 2-Butoxyethanol (2-BE) Consultation Report of the Stakeholder Meeting held on January 29, 2004
- Proposed Risk Management Strategy for 2-Butoxyethanol (archived consultation document)
- Executive Summary of the report "Consumer exposure profile for 2-butoxyethanol - Laundry Spot cleaner/Stain remover
- National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) - Information Centre
- North American Commission for Environmental Cooperation Web Site
- Executive Summary of the report "2-Butoxyethanl and 2-Methoxyethanol - Current Use Patterns in Canada, Toxicology Profiles of Alternatives, and the Feasability of Performing an Exposure Assessment Study" by ToxEcology-Environmental Consulting Ltd. (Final Report, May 23, 2003)
- Executive summary of the report "Inventory of and Technical/Socio-Economic Background Study for 2-Butoxyethanol and 2-Methoxyethanol: by Tox Ecology-Environmental Consulting Ltd. (Final report, June 1, 2001)
- Executive Summary of the report "Consumer Exposure Profile Study for 2-Butoxyethanol (CAS#: 111-76-2)" by ToxEcology-Environmental Consulting Ltd. (final report, March 24, 2004)
- Executive Summary of the report "Consumer Exposure Profile for 2-Butoxyethanol (CAS#: 111-76-2) - Combining the Results from Emission Chamber Studies and Modelling Studies" by ToxEcology-Environmental Consulting Ltd. (Final report, May 21, 2004)
- Executive Summary of the Report "Determination of 2-Butoxyethanol in Consumer Products" by AirZOne One, Inc. (Final Report, May 2004)
- Executive Summary of the Report "Consumer Exposure Profile for 2-Butoxyethanol (CAS#: 111-76-2) - Additional Product Concentrations Limits" by ToxEcology - Environmental Consulting Ltd. (Final Report, February 12, 2005)
- Benefit-Cost Analysis of Proposed Regulatory Instrument for 2-Butoxyethanol
Email address: GR-RM@ec.gc.ca
Fax number: (819) 994-0007
Chemicals Management Division
200 Sacré Coeur Blvd.
- Date Modified: