Polybrominated biphenyls appear on the List of Toxic Substances (Schedule 1) of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA 1999), and were regulated under the following:
- Polybrominated Biphenyls Regulations, 1989
The Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations put into one set of regulations all of the toxic substances for which it was determined that their use in Canada should be banned for reasons of environmental or health protection.
During the Regulatory Review process of the Department of the Environment, it was suggested that it would be simpler and more effective administratively to develop a generic banned-substances regulation to which substances would be scheduled rather than having separate regulations, as was the case for polybrominated biphenyls.
For information on Canada's international engagement on this substance, please visit:
There is more than one CAS number that applies to this group of substances.
- CEPA 1999 Schedule 1 - List of Toxic Substances - This substance has been added to the List of Toxic Substances.
- Full life-cycle management of the substance (Track 2) under the Toxic Substances Management Policy
This substance is entering the environment from the following source(s):
Risk Management Tool(s)
Tool(s) developed to manage risks associated with the substance:
Risk Management Supporting Activities
Activities supporting the development or implementation of the risk management tool(s):
Forms related to the Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2012:
- Schedule 3: Information Related to the Use of Certain Toxic Substances in a Laboratory for Analysis, in Scientific Research or as a Laboratory Analytical Standard
- Schedule 4: Information Required in an Application for a Permit or an Application for Renewal of a Permit
Consultation (past and present) on the substance:
- Draft of the Update to the National Implementation Plan under the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) for public comment
- Draft of the Proposed Regulations Respecting the Total, Partial and Conditional Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances, 31-10-2003 (archived consultation document)
- Revised Draft: Prohibition f Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2005 (Repealed)
- Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2003 (Repealed)
- Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations (Repealed)
Chemicals Management Division
351 St. Joseph Blvd.
- Date modified: