Help the Government of Canada organize its website!
Complete an anonymous 5-minute questionnaire. Start now.
The quantity of dichloromethane imported and used in Canada each year between 1995 and 2007 plummeted from 13.1 to approximately 3 kilotonnes. Dichloromethane is used for various purposes, particularly as a paint remover, a blowing agent in foam production and a component in aerosol. Because of its volatility and wide-ranging uses, most dichloromethane is released into the environment, and mainly into the atmosphere. It can also enter the environment through dumps, industrial wastewater and water treatment facilities.
CAS (Chemical Abstract Service) Registry Number: 75-09-2
- Priority Substances List Assessment Report
- Order Adding Toxic Substances to Schedule 1 to the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999
- CEPA 1999 Schedule 1 - List of Toxic Substances - This substance has been added to the List of Toxic Substances. It is entering or may enter the environment in a quantity or concentration or under conditions that:
a) have or may have an immediate or long-term harmful effect on the environment or its biological diversity.
c) constitute or may constitute a danger in Canada to human life or health.
- Full life cycle management of the substance (Track 2) under the Toxic Substances Management Policy
This substance is entering the environment from the following source(s):
Strategic Options Report
Click on the following link to view strategies and actions recommended to manage risks associated with the substance:
Risk Management Tool(s)
Tool(s) developed to manage risks associated with the substance:
- Notice Requiring the Preparation and Implementation of Pollution Prevention Plans In Respect of Dichloromethane, 2003-11-29
- Notice Requiring the Preparation and Implementation of Pollution Prevention Plans In Respect of Dichloromethane (Erratum, 2004-05-08)
- Code of Practice for the Reduction of Dichloromethane Emissions from Use of Paint Strippers in Commercial Furniture Refinishing and Other Stripping Applications
- Pollution Prevention Planning Notices - Dichloromethane
Consultation (past and present) on the substance:
- Proposed Notice Requiring the Preparation and Implementation of Pollution Prevention Plans In Respect of Dichloromethane, 2002-08-31 (archived consultation document)
- Draft Code of Practice for the Safe Handling, Use and Storage of Dichloromethane-based Paint Strippers in Commercial Furniture Refinishing and Other Stripping Applications, 2002-07-03 (archived consultation document)
- Notice with respect to dichloromethane (methylene chloride)
- National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) - Information Centre
- North American Commission for Environmental Cooperation Web Site
Email address: GR-RM@ec.gc.ca
Fax number: (819) 994-0007
Chemicals Management Division
200 Sacré Coeur Blvd.
- Date Modified: