Bis(chloromethyl) ether is a colourless, volatile liquid with a "suffocating" odour (Sittig, 1981; Verschueren, 1983). Information provided in response to a Notice published under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act 1999 indicates that bis(chloromethyl) ether is not currently used or produced in Canada.
Sittig, M., Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals, Noyes Publications, Park Ridge, JH, 729 pp. (1981).
Verschueren, K., Handbook of Environmental Data on Organic Chemicals, 2nd Edition, Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., Toronto, Ont. 1310 pp. (1983).
CAS (Chemical Abstracts Service) registry number: 542-88-1
- Priority Substances List Assessment Report
- CEPA 1999 Schedule 1 - List of Toxic Substances - This substance has been added to the List of Toxic Substances. It is entering or may enter the environment in a quantity or concentration or under conditions that: c) constitute or may constitute a danger in Canada to human life or health.
- Full life-cycle management of the substance (Track 2) under the Toxic Substances Management Policy
This substance is entering the environment from the following source(s):
Risk Management Tool(s)
Tool(s) developed to manage risks associated with the substance:
Risk Management Supporting Activities
Activities supporting the development or implementation of the risk management tool(s):
Forms related to the Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2012:
- Schedule 3: Information Related to the Use of Certain Toxic Substances in a Laboratory for Analysis, in Scientific Research or as a Laboratory Analytical Standard
- Schedule 4: Information Required in an Application for a Permit or an Application for Renewal of a Permit
Consultation (past and present) on the substance:
- Draft Regulations Respecting the Total, Partial and Conditional Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances, 31-10-2003 (archived consultation document)
- Revised Draft: Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2005 (Repealed)
- Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2003 (Repealed)
- Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations (repealed)
Chemicals Management Division
351 St. Joseph Blvd.
- Date Modified: