Chlorinated wastewater effluents
Chlorine or chlorination agents are used by many wastewater treatment plants in Canada in order to disinfect effluent prior to its discharge into the receiving environment. Effluent wastewaters are disinfected to protect downstream municipal water supplies, recreational waters and shellfish-growing areas from bacterial contamination and other agents causing waterborne disease. Studies have demonstrated that certain levels of chlorinated wastewater effluents from wastewater treatment plants have caused acute lethality to fish and invertebrate species. Chlorinated wastewater effluents were added to the List of Toxic Subs tances in Schedule 1 of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act in November of 1999.
CAS number not applicable.
- Priority Substances List Assessment Report
- Order Adding Toxic Substances to Schedule 1 to the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999
- CEPA 1999 Schedule 1 - List of Toxic Substances - This substance has been added to the List of Toxic Substances. It is entering or may enter the environment in a quantity or concentration or under conditions that:
a) have or may have an immediate or long-term harmful effect on the environment or its biological diversity.
- Full life cycle management of the substance (Track 2) under the Toxic Substances Management Policy
Risk Management Strategy
Click on the following link to view strategies and actions recommended to manage risks associated with the substance:
- Proposed Risk Management Strategy addressing Ammonia, Inorganic Chloramines and Chlorinated Wastewater Effluents
Risk Management Tool(s)
Tool(s) developed to manage risks associated with the substance:
- Notice Requiring the Preparation and Implementation of Pollution Prevention Plans for Inorganic Chloramines and Chlorinated Wastewater Effluents
Consultation (past and present) on the substance:
- Proposed Notice Requiring the Preparation and Implementation of Pollution Prevention Plans for Ammonia Dissolved in Water, Inorganic Chloramines and Chlorinated Wastewater Effluents, 2003-06-07 (archived consultation document)
- Municipal Wastewater Effluents - Information Centre
- Response to Stakeholders' Comments on the Proposed Notice Requiring the Preparation and Implementation of Pollution Prevention Plans for Ammonia Dissolved in Water, Inorganic Chloramines and Chlorinated Wastewater Effluents, under CEPA 1999
Substances Management Information Line
Chemicals Management Plan
Gatineau, QC K1A 0H3
Telephone: 1-800-567-1999 (in Canada) or 819-938-3232
- Date modified: