Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
You have reached an archival site for Status of Birds in Canada. To access the current site select "Archive" on the left hand menu. Then select the year marked as "Current" and click "Submit".
Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC)
COSEWIC was established in 1977 to provide Canadians with a single, scientifically sound classification of wildlife species at risk of extinction. In 2003, the Species at Risk Act (SARA) was proclaimed. The purpose of SARA is to protect wildlife species at risk in Canada. Within the Act, COSEWIC was established as an independent body of experts responsible for identifying and assessing species considered to be at risk. Species that have been assessed as at risk by COSEWIC are then eligible to be considered for addition to the List of Wildlife Species at Risk under SARA and may subsequently qualify for legal protection and recovery under the Act.
For more information on COSEWIC:
For more information on species listed under the Species at Risk Act (SARA) or for species assessments and profiles:
COSEWIC Status Categories:
- Extinct (X) - A wildlife species that no longer exists.
- Extirpated (XT) - A wildlife species that no longer exists in the wild in Canada, but exists elsewhere.
- Endangered (E) - A wildlife species facing imminent extirpation or extinction.
- Threatened (T) - A wildlife species that is likely to become endangered if nothing is done to reverse the factors leading to its extirpation or extinction.
- Special Concern (SC) - A wildlife species that may become threatened or endangered because of a combination of biological characteristics and identified threats.
- Data Deficient (DD) - A category that applies when the available information is insufficient (a) to resolve a wildlife species’ eligibility for assessment or (b) to permit an assessment of the wildlife species’ risk of extinction.
- Not At Risk (NAR) - A wildlife species that has been evaluated and found to be not at risk of extinction given the current circumstances.