Contact Christian Blaise:
Associate Professor, ISMER-UQAR since 1997
Member of the Quebec Association of Biologists
Member of the Quebec Association of Microbiologists
AWARDS / EDUCATION
Recipient of the Commemorative Medal for the Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2003 for contributions to ecotoxicology at the national and international level
Elected "Member Emeritus" of the Quebec Association of Biologists in 2004: status given to a biologist "who has particularly distinguished him or herself by the quality of his or her work"
Research Scientist - Aquatic Ecotoxicology, Fluvial Ecosystem Research
CURRENT S&T / RESEARCH - Contribution to the protection and conservation of aquatic ecosystems
- Development/application of bioassays and biomarkers for the study of the aquatic environment
- Experiments on aquatic food chains to assess the potential for contaminant bioaccumulation/biomagnification
- Assessment of the toxic potential of complex matrices (liquids and solids) and emerging substances (pharmaceuticals, nanomaterials)
- Impact studies of mixed and non-point source pollution on water quality in the Saguenay Fjord demonstrated using a bivalve model (Mya arenaria)
- Technology transfer of ecotoxicological tools at the (inter)national level, publication of books and writing of summary articles in the field of aquatic ecotoxicology
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES / INTERESTS
Co-chair of the International Steering Committee of the International Symposium on Toxicity Assessment (ISTA)
Member of the editorial board of scientific journals: Environmental Toxicology; Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety; Brazilian Journal of Aquatic Science and Technology
Invited foreign member of the scientfic board of INERIS (Institut National de l'Environnement Industriel et des Risques, Verneuil-en-Halatte, France): 4-year term
Co-supervisor of three PhD students at UQAR, UQAM and the University of Sao Paulo (Brazil)
Blaise, C., S. Trottier, F. Gagné, C. Lallement and P.-D. Hansen. 2002. Immuno-competence of bivalve hemocytes by a miniaturized phagocytosis assay. Environ. Toxicol. 17 : 160-169.
Blaise, C., F. Gagné, N. Chèvre, M. Harwood, K. Lee, J. Lappalainen, B. Chial, G. Persoone and K. Doe. 2004. Toxicity assessment of oil-contaminated freshwater sediments. Environ. Toxicol. 19: 267-273.
Dellamatrice, P., R. Monteiro, C. Blaise, J.L. Slabbert, F. Gagné and S. Alleau. 2005. Toxicity Assessment of reference and natural freshwater sediments with the Luminotox assay. Environ. Toxicol. 21:395-402.
Blaise, C. and J.F. Férard. (Eds.). 2005. Small-scale Freshwater Toxicity Investigations, Volume 1 (Toxicity test methods, 551 pages) and Volume 2 (Hazard assessment schemes, 422 pages), Springer Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
Blaise, C., F. Gagné, P. Eullaffroy and J.-F. Férard. 2006. Ecotoxicity of selected pharmaceuticals of urban origin discharged to the Saint-Lawrence River (Québec, Canada) : a review. Braz. J. Aquat. Sci. Technol. 10(2):29-51.
Blaise, C. and F. Gagné. 2007. Bioassays and biomarkers, two pillars of ecotoxicology: past, present and prospective uses. J. Environ. Sci. Health (in press).
- Date modified: