Contact Zen Mariani, Ph.D.:
AWARDS / EDUCATION
Ph.D. Physics, University of Toronto, 2014
Collaborative Ph.D. program in Environmental Policy and Management (UofT)
M.Sc. Physics, University of Toronto, 2010
B.Sc. (Hons.) Physics, University of Western Ontario, 2009
Zen Mariani, Ph.D.
Research Scientist - Remote Sensing of the Arctic Atmosphere
Downsview (Toronto, ON)
CURRENT S&T / RESEARCH - Develop a ground-based integrated observing system in the Arctic using new technologies focusing on meteorological measurements. Investigate applications and capabilities of these new instruments, such as Doppler wind Lidars and Radars, and provide data in near-real time to forecasters in order to assess their impact on forecast capabilities, and satellite calibration/validation teams to improve satellite wind retrievals over Arctic terrain.
- Commission new ground-based instruments, such as Doppler wind Lidars and Radars, and assess their performance and applications in the Arctic climate
- Produce integrated meteorological products in near-real time, delivered to forecasters, in order to assess their impact on forecast capabilities
- Produce climatologies of severe wind events in the Arctic and determine severe weather impact on the local community
- Perform ground-based calibration/validation of ESA's ADM-Aeolus satellite wind measurements over Arctic terrain
- Mariani, Z., K. Strong, M. Palm, R. Lindenmaier, C. Adams, X. Zhao, V. Savastiouk, C. T. McElroy, F. Goutail, and J. R. Drummond (2013): Year-round Retrievals of Trace Gases in the Arctic using the Extended-range Atmospheric Emitted Radiance Interferometer. Atmos. Meas. Tech., 6, 1549-1565.
- Mariani, Z., K. Strong, M. Wolff, P. Rowe, V. Walden, P. F. Fogal, T. Duck, G. Lesins, D. S. Turner, C. Cox, E. Eloranta, J. R. Drummond, C. Roy, D. D. Turner, D. Hudak, and I. A. Lindenmaier (2012): Infrared Measurements in the Arctic using Two Atmospheric Emitted Radiance Interferometers. Atmos. Meas. Tech., 5, 329-344.
- Strong, K., Colebatch, O., Conway, S., Fogal, P.F., Griffin, D., Jones, D., Mariani, Z., Mendonca, J., Semelhago, M., Stanevich, I., Viatte, C., Walker, K.A., Whaley, C., Lindenmaier, R., Fast, H., Mittermeier, R., Drummond, J.R., Franklin, J., Giroux, J., and Lin, J.C. (2013): Probing Atmospheric Composition over Canada using Ground-based FTIR Spectroscopy. Conf. Fourier Transform Spectroscopy, 10.1364/FTS.2013.FTh2C.1.
- Mariani, Z., K. Strong, M. Wolff, P. Rowe, V. Walden, P. F. Fogal, T. Duck, G. Lesins, D. S. Turner, C. Cox, E. Eloranta, J. R. Drummond, R. L Lachance, C. Roy, D. D. Turner, D. Hudak, and I. A. Lindenmaier (2012): Infrared Measurements throughout Polar Night using Two AERIs in the Arctic. Conf. SPIE, 8534, 85340H-1.
- Date modified: