Contact Miles Constable:
AWARDS / EDUCATION
B.Sc. Biology, York University, Toront, 1979
Dipl. Pollution Monitoring, Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, Edmonton, 1981
Head, Sectoral Priorities Unit - Ecological Assessment Division - Conducting ecological risk assessments of chemicals
Twin Atria Building (Edmonton, AB)
CURRENT S&T / RESEARCH - Leading the ecological screening assessments of priority petroleum substances under the Government of Canada's Chemicals Management Plan
- Working with a team heavily involved in developing novel techniques for assessing complex mixtures and conducting the ecological screening assessments of petroleum products as complex mixtures
- Worked to complete draft risk assessments of ethene, 1-propene, 1,1-dichloroethene, H2S
- Lead the ecological assessment of ammonia in the aquatic environment
- Team member on the risk assessment of Creosote-Impregnated Waste Materials
- Lead the regional contaminated sites unit, assessing ERAs on contaminated sites, developed and gave courses on ERA at CS
- Technical expert on a team developing hazard scores for substances to be regulated under S199 and 200 of CEPA for Environmental Emergencies
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES / INTERESTS
27 years experience in government on environmental toxicology and risk assessment of chemicals
Team leader in conducting complex assessments (ammonia, H2S, petroleum products)
Conducting ecological risk assessments of complex mixtures
Assessing ecological risks at contaminated sites
Constable, M., J. Froese, A. Moore and M. James. 2006. Ecological Risk Assessment for Contaminated Sites: What it is and What it can do for You. Environment Canada, 2-day Course for Custodial Departments.
Constable, M. 2006. Understanding the FCSAP Contaminated Site Classification System. Short Course. Aquatic Toxicity Workshop, Oct 1-4 2006. Jasper, Alberta
Constable, M., M. Charlton, F. Jensen, K. McDonald, G. Craig and K.W. Taylor. 2003. An ecological risk assessment of ammonia in the aquatic environment. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment. 9(2):527 - 548.
Constable, M. 2001. Ecological survey of the South Saskatchewan River downstream of the City of Saskatoon wastewater treatment plant. Environment Canada, Environmental Protection Report Series EPS 5/AT/2. Edmonton, Alberta.
Gurprasad N., M. Constable, N. Haidar and E. Cabalo.1995. Polychlorinated Dibenzo-p-dioxins (PCDDs) Leaching from Pentachlorophenol-Treated Utility Poles (Award Winner Scientific Paper) presented at the 15th Int. Symposium on Chlorinated Dioxins and Related Compounds, Edmonton, Alberta, Aug., 1995. Publication: Chlorinated Dioxins and Related Compounds, Organohalogen Compounds, FTE. 24:501-503.
- Date modified: