Environment Canada, Meteorological Research Division
AWARDS / EDUCATION
NSERC PGS A Scholarship, 1994-1996
Andrew Stewart Memorial Prize, University of Alberta, 2001/2002
University of Alberta Dissertation Award, 2001/2002
Post-doctoral Fellow - research in dynamical and statistical constraints for variational data assimilation, generation of global atmospheric analyses for International Polar Year project
CURRENT S&T / RESEARCH - Improvement in weather/climate forecasts through modification of existing assimilation constraints, and contribution to international research effort focussed on polar regions
- Atmospheric dynamics, particularly balance relationships between meteorological fields and the use of such relationships as constraints in forecasting
- Theoretical development of balance constraints applicable to the tropical regions and implementation in existing assimilation systems
- Statistical methods for specification of background error variances and covariances
- Implementation and management of a global 4D-Var assimilation system using a forecast model with online chemistry
- Investigation of stratospheric processes, including sudden stratospheric warmings, the ozone cycle and tropical waves, as well as their role in the climate system
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES / INTERESTS
Research in forecasting and data assimilation methodologies employing models, variational assimilation codes and other numerical methods. Documentation of research results and manuscript preparation.
Implementation, testing and management of an assimilation system for the generation of IPY-related datasets. Processing, quality control and contribution of datasets to IPY database.
Development of diagnostics tools and other data-handling utilities for the RPN environment.
Participation and organizational assistance with respect to seminar series and research workshops.
Reszka, M. K. and G. E. Swaters. 2004. Evolution of initially-axisymmetric buoyancy jets: a numerical study. J. Fluid Mech. 501:355-377.
Reszka, M. K., G. E. Swaters and B. R. Sutherland. 2002. Instability of abyssal currents in a continuously stratified ocean with bottom topography. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 32:3528-3550.
Reszka, M. K. and G. E. Swaters. 2001. Dynamics of bottom-trapped currents with application to the Strait of Georgia. Can. Appl. Math. Quart. 9:127-158.
Reszka, M. K. and G. E. Swaters. 1999. Numerical investigation of baroclinic instability in the Gaspe current using a frontal geostrophic model. J. Geophys. Res. 104(25):685-696.
Reszka, M. K. and G. E. Swaters. 1999. Eddy formation and interaction in a baroclinic frontal geostrophic model. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 29:3025-3042.
- Date modified: