Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the Contact Us page.
Environment Canada’s Science and Technology generates large collections of data, useful to S&T professionals working in many disciplines including wildlife, biodiversity, water, air, soil, climate, pollution, environmental prediction and environmental technologies. Access to Environment Canada and some other data sets is made available here to S&T users.
We are currently in the process of adding to this webpage.
Atmospheric Science Databases
- Air Quality Data - This section provides access to Environment Canada's air-quality databases, including data on air pollutants and other chemicals in the atmosphere, such as ozone and UV. The data here is compiled from Environment Canada's monitoring networks, including long-term cross-country networks, as well as data from short-term intensive local studies.
- Climate Data and Model output - Access to the data holdings of the Climate Research program- a variety of databases which include atmospheric and cryospheric observations, as well as the extensive archive of runs of the Canadian global and regional climate models.
- Canadian Climate Change Scenarios Network (CCCSN) – The CCCSN supports those who require climate change scenarios for decision-making purposes, including researchers, policy-makers, municipalities, program managers, and many others. Climate change scenario information is provided from numerous international research centres, in support of the Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change (IPCC) assessments. Results from the second (SAR), third (TAR), and fourth (AR4) assessments are available. The CCCSN also offers limited national output from the Canadian Regional Climate Model (CRCM), and the PRECIS regional climate model, with access to different tools for visualizing scenario results. Scenarios are provided by numerous university partner research centres across the country working to support climate change impacts and adaptation research in Canada.
- Great Lakes Data and Science - Links to scientific studies, data sets, Geographic Information Systems and other technical information about the Great Lakes ecosystem.
National Aquatic Biological Specimen Bank and Database
- The National Aquatic Biological Specimen Bank and Database holds more than 37,000 samples of fish and invertebrates collected over the last 30+ years of environmental monitoring in Canada.
National Pollutant Release Inventory
- The National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) is Canada's legislated, publicly accessible inventory of pollutant releases (to air, water and land), disposals and transfers for recycling.
Pollution Calculation Forms
Determine your vehicle's fuel efficiency as well as the pollution generated on any given trip, or view the various pollutants created by lawnmower or snowblower use, using ESTC's fuel calculations forms.
- Fuel Consumption - Fuel consumption calculations form to help determine the efficiency of your vehicle. Results are listed in L/100km, mpg Imperial and mpg U.S.
- Vehicle Emissions - Calculate vehicle pollution generated on any given trip. Results display the quantities of various pollutants from your car or truck, including carbon monoxide, NOx and other hydrocarbons.
Sorbent Technology Database
- Sorbent Technology Database - The Sorbent Test Program of the Emergencies Engineering Technology Office of ESTC maintains a database containing properties, tests results and other data for various sorbents.
Spills Technology Databases
- Oil Properties Database - Properties of Crude Oils and Oil Products.
- Brochure Database - The brochures database provides a detailed listing of companies which sell either equipment or services related to oil or chemical spills.
- Chemical Synonyms - This database is used to find synonyms of a chemical name and to find the standard IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) name for that chemical.
- PPA Instruments - This database consists of a survey of commercially available person-portable analytical instruments. Search for an instrument by name, manufacturer or by the compound you wish to measure.
- Tanker Spills - Worldwide tanker spill database where accidental spills of over 1000 barrels of petroleum products were released. Incidents can be searched for by date and/or vessel name.
- Spilltox Database - This database summarizes the results of toxicity testing on chemical treating agents used in oil spill response.
Water Monitoring Data
- The Canadian Aquatic Biomonitoring Network (CABIN) Database - The CABIN database provides partners with tools to store and manage their data and studies. All data that are collected as part of CABIN can be entered through the web-based interface. Once data are entered, partners can analyse their data and perform assessments using the suite of online tools that are built into the CABIN database. The CABIN database is password protected. To gain access to the database, training is required, see the training page or contact CABIN for more information.
- Date Modified: