Severn Sound Delisted Area of Concern
Remedial Action Plan Accomplishments
The Remedial Action Plan (RAP) process in Severn Sound was a success. The economic viability of the area improved through upgraded infrastructure, local job creation, and cost-effective decisions assisted by RAP studies. The RAP inspired volunteer participation and positive media support. The public supported the concept of a healthy community environment, and ensured that economic and environmental sustainability were built into municipal plans.
Notable accomplishments of the Severn Sound RAP included:
- A total of 129 000 native trees and shrubs were planted
- Four hundred and sixteen hectares of land were retired from intensive agriculture.
- One hundred and thirty-eight kilometres of stream were protected.
- Phosphorus reductions were estimated at 1 028 kilograms per year.
- Approximately 2 400 livestock units were restricted from stream access.
- Townships and municipalities adopted Natural Heritage Strategies and RAP guidelines in their Official Plans.
- Sewage treatment plant optimization and upgrades reduced pollution and saved $2.8 million for two municipalities.
- Stormwater management planning identified cost savings of $30 million, and made implementation of stormwater treatment affordable.
- Date Modified: