When Canadians spot migratory ducks and geese, we know the seasons are changing. But these flocks are just the beginning - approximately 450 native species of birds, the majority of which are protected under the Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994, and are collectively referred to as "migratory birds", make Canada their home for part of each year.
Canada shares responsibility for conservation of migratory birds with the other countries they visit. Environment Canada develops and implements policies and regulations to protect these birds and the natural habitats in which they thrive.
Why? Migratory birds are more than a source of visual and auditory pleasure. They play important ecological and biological roles in our environment and make a significant contribution to Canada’s economy.
Learn more about Environment Canada’s efforts to conserve and regulate diverse migratory bird populations:
Learn about our scientific expertise, input to international conventions, leading role in national conservation programs and migratory bird databases.
Monitoring and Reporting
Retrieve information about bird species and population trends or find out about bird banding projects across Canada.
Policy and Regulations
Find out when, where and how some bird species may be hunted and learn about efforts to limit incidental take of bird populations.
Hunting and Angling Advisory Panel (HAAP)
Learn how the panel will provide advice to the Minister of the Environment on a range of federal policies, programs and activities related to conservation and hunting, trapping and angling.
- Spring Special Conservation Period to Hunt Overabundant Snow and Ross`s Geese
- Proposals to Modernize Canada's Migratory Birds Regulations to Improve Management of Hunting - March 2014
- Snow Geese in Québec: 2013-2018 Action Plan. A product of a January 2012 workshop with members of the Greater Snow Goose Management Round Table (Accessible PDF: 3.30 MB)
- New bird mortality scientific papers
- Incidental Take of Migratory Birds in Canada
- List of birds protected under MBCA
- Invitation to Sell Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permits
- Goose Management
- Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit
- Migratory Birds Hunting Regulation Summaries
- Canadian Wildlife Habitat Conservation Stamp
- Date Modified: