Marine Buoy Observations
- Sample: Current Conditions page for marine buoy location
- Marine Observation Details
- 3 Metre Discus ODAS Buoy
- 1.7 Metre ODAS Buoy
- 6 Metre NOMAD ODAS Buoy
In this section, learn how to better understand and use Environment Canada’s buoy observation data, which is collected from our extensive network of marine buoys. Also in this section is an overview of some of the different types of buoys that Environment Canada has in service.
- ODAS: Ocean Data Acquisition System
- NOMAD: Navy Oceanographic Meteorological Automatic Device
- GOES: Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite
Sample: Current conditions page for a marine buoy location:
Nickerson Bank - 44251
04:00 PM AST 9 March 2010
Buoy position: 46.45N 53.38W
|Wind (knots)||SW 9 gust 11||Pressure and tendency (kPa)||100.0 --|
|Wave height (m)||2.0||Air temperature (°C)||N/A*|
|Wave period (s)||14||Water temperature (°C)||0|
* In the event a sensor is malfunctioning or out of service for maintenance, or the parameter is not measured, the field would be displayed as not available (N/A)
Observation Location (displayed in the mock up as Nickerson Bank - 44251): Identified with name of the buoy and its World Meteorological Organization (WMO) identification number.
Time: The time of the observation is displayed in local time (Daylight Savings Time or Standard Time – as required), hh:mm ddmmyyy, and typically updated shortly past the hour for hourly observations. In the event a special or non-routine observation is available, this will be posted with an updated time.
Buoy position: The buoy position is identified in Lat/Long.
Wind – Speed in Knots: The direction from which the wind is blowing from, using geographiccardinal or intercardinal points. A north wind is therefore a wind blowing from the geographic north. The speed is derived from a 2-minute mean or average prior to the time of the observation. In the event a gust is recorded, this is the maximum observed in a 10-minute period prior to the time of the observation.
Wave height: Data is collected over a 30 to 35 minute period each hour and averaged. Provided in increments of 0.5 Meters.
Wave period: Data is collected over a 30 to 35 minute period each hour and averaged.
Pressure and tendency: The latest air pressure observed on the hour of the observation, in Kilopascals (kPa) with the trend of either rising or falling from the previous hour’s reading.
Air Temperature: Latest air temperature observed on the hour of the observation, in degrees Celsius to the nearest whole degree.
Water Temperature: Latest water temperature observed on the hour of the observation, in degrees Celsius to the nearest whole degree.
Marine Observation Details
These reports are obtained from a network of floating buoys and coastal weather stations. To access the network via clickable maps or lists (available in text mode) representing various Marine areas across Canada, visit our National Marine site.
From the National Marine site, click on any one of the 15 marine regions that you would like to see an observation report from, and then click on any one of the marine forecast areas associated with that marine region. Select the “Weather Conditions” tab and a map or list will be provided that outlines all of the buoys and coastal weather stations relevant to that marine region.
Selecting a station will display the latest hourly weather conditions. In addition, the 24 hour history for a station and a regional summary of weather stations and/or buoys can be selected.
Keep in mind:
- Metric units are used for all reported weather elements except for wind speeds, which are expressed in knots only - the same unit used in the marine forecasts.
- These weather condition maps are designed for the selection of stations and/or buoys. The marine forecast areas can not be selected and are outlined for reference purposes only.
- A full glossary is available to assist in some of the terms or terminology used in the reports.
- Marine observing platforms – ODAS Buoys What they look like and specifications.
3 Metre Discus ODAS Buoy
1.7 Metre ODAS Buoy
6 Metre NOMAD ODAS Buoy
- Date Modified: