Help the Government of Canada organize its website!
Complete an anonymous 5-minute questionnaire. Start now.
Guide to Environment Canada Marine Weather Forecasts
Environment Canada (EC) provides a marine forecasting service to mariners and marine interests. This enables them to make informed decisions about marine weather conditions that may impact their safety, security or operations. EC also provides marine forecasts in order to meet Canada’s treaty obligations under the International Maritime Organization’s Safety Of Life At Sea (SOLAS) Convention.
There are three main marine forecast bulletins issued by EC. In addition to this, descriptive marine synopses are issued by the Department in conjunction with these marine forecast bulletins. The three marine forecast bulletins are each described in further detail in the next section.
- Types of Marine Forecasts
- Forecast Issue Times and Valid Periods
- Forecast Time Qualifiers in Relation to Clock Time
- What information is included in the Marine Forecast?
- Marine Forecasts – Sample Text Bulletins
- Marine Forecasts – Weather.gc.ca Website
- Forecast Updates – When and Why
- Major Weather Elements Included in the Marine Forecasts
- Interpreting the Wording of a Marine Forecast
- Marine Warnings and Watches Program
- Synoptic Warnings
- Localized Warnings & Watches
- Ice Warnings
- Date Modified: