Factsheet for the Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2012
The Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2012 (the Regulations) prevent potential risks of harm to the Canadian environment and, where applicable, human health by prohibiting the manufacture, use, sale, offer for sale or import of the toxic substances listed in the Annex to this factsheet, and products containing them, with a limited number of exemptions.
Why are these substances prohibited?
The substances prohibited by these Regulations are amongst the most harmful: They have been declared toxic to the environment and/or human health under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA), and are generally persistent and bioaccumulative.
Who must comply?
These regulations generally apply to all persons in Canada.
Where can I get more information?
More information on the Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2012, and new requirements related to the addition in 2016 of five substances can be found on the CEPA Registry, or by contacting:
Environment and Climate Change Canada
Chemicals Management Division
351 St. Joseph Boulevard, 10th Floor
Gatineau QC K1A 0H3
This document provides a high level summary of the Regulations and does not include all legal requirements. If there is any inconsistency or conflict between the information contained in this document and the Canada Gazette, Part II (CGII) published text and/or the Justice Canada regulatory text, the CGII and Justice Canada text prevails.
Annex: List of substances subject to the Regulations
More information on individual substances can be found via the List of Toxic Substances.
- Dodecachloropentacyclo [5.3.0.02,6.03,9.04,8] decane (Mirex)
- Polybrominated biphenyls that have the molecular formula C12H(10-n)Brn in which "n" is greater than 2 (PBB)
- Polychlorinated terphenyls that have a molecular formula C18H(14-n)Cln in which "n" is greater than 2 (PCT)
- Bis(chloromethyl) ether that has the molecular formula C2H4Cl2O (BCME)
- Chloromethyl methyl ether that has the molecular formula C2H5ClO (CMME)
- (4-Chlorophenyl)cyclopropylmethanone,O-[(4-nitrophenyl)methyl]oximethat has the molecular formula C17H15ClN2O3 (NCC ether)
- N-Nitrosodimethylamine, which has the molecular formula C2H6N2O (NDMA)
- Hexachlorobutadiene, which has the molecular formula C4Cl6 (HCBD)
- Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, which has the molecular formula C14H9Cl5 (DDT)
- Hexachlorobenzene (HCB)
- Benzidine and benzidine dihydrochloride, which have the molecular formula C12H12N2 and C12H12N2.2HCl, respectively
- Hexane, 1,6-diisocyanato-, homopolymer, reaction products with alpha-fluoro-omega-2- hydroxyethyl-poly(difluoromethylene), C16-20-branched alcohols and 1-octadecanol
- 2-Propenoic acid, 2-methyl-, hexadecyl ester, polymers with 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate, gamma-omega-perfluoro-C10-16-alkyl acrylate and stearyl methacrylate
- 2-Propenoic acid, 2-methyl-, 2-methylpropyl ester, polymer with butyl 2-propenoate and 2,5 furandione, gamma-omega-perfluoro-C8-14-alkyl esters, tert-Bu benzenecarbo peroxoate-initiated
- 2-Propen-1-ol, reaction products with pentafluoroiodoethane tetrafluoroethylene telomer, dehydroiodinated, reaction products with epichlorohydrin and triethylenetetramine
- 2-Methoxyethanol, which has the molecular formula C3H8O2 (2-ME)
- Pentachlorobenzene, which has the molecular formula C6HCl5 (PeCB)
- Tetrachlorobenzenes, which have the molecular formula C6H2Cl4 (TeCB)
- Polychlorinated Naphthalenes, which have the molecular formula C10H8-nCln in which “n” is greater than 1 (PCNs)
- Short-Chain Chlorinated Alkanes, that have the molecular formula CnHxCl(2n+2-x) in which 10 ≤ n ≤ 13 (SCCAs)
- Benzenamine, N-phenyl-, Reaction Products with Styrene and 2,4,4-Trimethylpentene (BNST)
- Tributyltins, which contain the grouping (C4H9)3Sn (TBTs)
- Hexabromocyclododecane, which has the molecular formula C12H18Br6 (HBCD)
- Perfluorooctanoic acid, which has the molecular formula C7F15CO2H, its salts, and its precursors (PFOA)
- Perfluorocarboxylic acids that have the molecular formula CnF2n+1CO2H in which 8 ≤ n ≤ 20, their salts and their precursors (Long-Chain PFCAs)
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethersthat have the molecular formula C12H(10-n)BrnO in which 4 ≤ n ≤ 10 (PBDEs)
- Perfluorooctane sulfonate, its salts and its precursors (PFOS)
Five substances added in 2016
- Date modified: