Principles of CEPA 1999 enforcement
Enforcement of CEPA 1999 must be fair, predictable and consistent in accordance with paragraph 2(1)(o) of the Act and follow Environment Canada’s Compliance and Enforcement Policy, which contains the following guiding principles:
- Compliance with CEPA 1999 and its regulations is mandatory;
- CEPA 1999 enforcement officers will apply the Act in a manner that is fair, predictable and consistent;
- CEPA 1999 enforcement officers will use rules, sanctions and processes securely founded in law;
- CEPA 1999 enforcement officers will enforce the Act with an emphasis on preventing harm to the environment;
- CEPA 1999 enforcement officers will examine every suspected violation of which they have knowledge, and take action consistent with the Compliance and Enforcement Policy.
- CEPA 1999 enforcement officers will encourage Canadians to report CEPA 1999 violations to them.
- Date modified: