Enforcement officers for the Canadian Environmental Protection Act 1999 have the following enforcement measures at their disposal:
- warnings to indicate the existence of a violation, in order that the alleged offender can take notice and return to compliance;
- directions that enforcement officers may issue to deal with or to prevent illegal releases of regulated substances;
- tickets for offences such as failure to submit written reports;
- various types of orders, including prohibition orders, orders to recall illegal substances or products from the marketplace, and environmental protection compliance orders to put an immediate stop to illegal activity, to prevent a violation from occurring or to require action to be taken;
- prosecution under the authority of a Crown prosecutor; and
- environmental protection alternative measures.
- Date modified: