This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
ARCHIVED - Questions and Answers on the Federal Questions and Answers on the Federal Sulphur in Diesel Fuel Regulations
- Outline of the Regulations
- General Questions
- 1. Interpretation
- 2. Application
- 3. Maximum Concentration of Sulphur
- 4. Analysis
- 5. Reports
- 6. Records
- 7. Repeal
- 8. Coming Into Force
- Other Questions
- New Questions
- Appendix A: Addresses of Environment Canada's Regional Offices
- Appendix B: Maps of Northern Supply Area
- Why are specific test methods stipulated in the Sulphur in Diesel Fuel Regulations?
Test methods are specified in order to provide certainty and consistency in the enforcement of the regulations.
- What happens if a test method is amended?
Any amendment to a test method is automatically incorporated into the regulations (refer to subsection 1(2)).
- Why is the test method changed from CAN/CGSB-3.0 No. 16.0-95 to ASTM D 5453-00 after December 31, 2003?
ASTM D 5453-00 has increased accuracy for lower sulphur levels. This was recommended to Environment Canada by the CGSB.
- In 2003, CAN/CGSB 3.0 No. 16.0-95 is the test method identified for compliance purposes. CAN/CGSB 3.0 No. 16.0-95 yields results in percent by weight. The limits in Section 3 of the regulations are specified in mg/kg. How does one convert from percent by weight from CAN/CGSB 3.0 No. 16.0-95 to mg/kg?
Results obtained from CAN/CGSB - 3.0number 16.0 - 95 method can be converted arithmetically by multiplying them by 10,000 and reporting the result in mg/kg, with 2 significant digits.
- How do I get copies of the test methods?
The methods can be purchased from the Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB):
CGSB Sales Centre
or from the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM):
100 Barr Harbor Drive
PO Box C700
West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
- Date modified: