Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the Contact Us page.
Help the Government of Canada organize its website!
Complete an anonymous 5-minute questionnaire. Start now.
ARCHIVED - What's Happening With the CEPA Review?
An Update from the CEPA Office
1. Publication of "Let's Talk CEPA"
The first issue of our official newsletter was published in early August and all of you should by now have received copies for information and distribution. The newsletter was widely distributed to interested and potentially interested parties and response has been extremely positive. Any comments on the format and content would be greatly appreciated and carefully considered. Also, more copies of the newsletter are available if you need them for distribution to your colleagues and clients.
2. Issue Elaboration Papers
Work is proceeding slowly but steadily on the Issue Elaboration Papers which will be submitted to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development to assist them in their review of CEPA. For your information, a brief status on each of the papers is presented:
- Sustainable Development in Canada - in publication
- Biodiversity - final English draft
- Ecosystem Approach - final English draft
- Coastal Zone Management in Canada - final English draft
- Federal House in Order - first draft
- Environmental Protection on Indian Lands - final English draft
- Pollution Prevention - in publication
- Economic Instruments - final English draft
- Community Right to Know - in publication
- Environmental Bill of Rights/Public Access to the Courts - first draft
- Environmental Emergencies - final English draft
- Guidance on Sentencing for the Canadian Judiciary and Federal Crown Prosecutors - final English draft
- Negotiated Settlements - final English draft
- Administrative Monetary Penalties - Their Potential Use in CEPA - first draft
- Inspectors Powers - final English draft
- Strategic Options - in publication
- Federal Intergovernmental Co-operation in Environmental Management: A Comparison of Developments in Australia and Canada - in publication
- Precautionary Principle - being written
- Categorizing Offences - being written
- Human Health and Environmental Protection - being written
- International Trade - being written
- Gap Analysis - postponed
With respect to the "Gap Analysis", a search of university databases with a view to identifying any current graduate research on analyses of pollution legislation in Canada has been initiated. Any information which you may have on such research would be appreciated.
In summary, the preparation of the Issue Elaboration Papers is proceeding well and a wealth of information will be available to the Committee in the next few weeks as the papers are finalized, translated and forwarded.
3. Liaison with the CCME Harmonization Initiative
Close contact is being maintained with the Program Integration Directorate and the Federal-Provincial Relations Branch to ensure that the CEPA Office is fully informed on the activities of the CCME Harmonization Task Group and vice versa. Initiatives in that area are proceeding quickly and it is important that harmonization activities and priorities are recognized and fully considered in this office.
4. Regular Status Updates
A short note on our activities will be sent to you regularly in this format to keep you up to date. Please call Sue Keane (819- 953-1914) if you have questions.
- Date Modified: