National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) Emission Estimate Guide for Primary Aluminum Producers
- 1. Description of the Industry
- 2. Are you required to report to the NPRI?
- 3. Overview of this Guide
- 4. Description of Operations (Raw Materials, Products, Releases vs. Reporting Criteria)
- 5. Identification of sources of releases and off-site transfers
- 6. Estimating Air Emissions: Part 1
- 7. Estimating Air Emissions: Part 2
- 8. Estimating Releases to Water Bodies
- 9. Estimating Releases to Land
- 10. Estimating Off-site Transfers (Disposal and Recycling)
- 11. Glossary
- 12. References
10. Estimating off-site transfers (disposal and recycling) – Under development
This section presents the appropriate tools for estimating releases during off-site transfers.
10.1 Main types of waste transferred off site: spent pot liners, wet scrubber sludge, water treatment sludge and aluminium dross
10.1.1 Process description
NPRI substances that may be contained in residues from the dismantling of electrolysis pots (spent pot liners), wet scrubber sludge, waste water sludge and aluminium dross. What goes out (transfer) needs to be separated from what returns (raw material to be included in calculating the substance threshold).
Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAHs), metals
10.1.3 Transfer calculations
The spreadsheet provides a list of substances generally contained in waste transferred off site for disposal or recycling. If the information or measurement is not available, for example, users can use one of the approaches mentioned in the Emission Codes Table.
10.2 Other waste
10.2.1 Carbon-based waste
10.2.1.1 Process description
NPRI substances contained in carbon-based waste, such as excess ramming paste and used oil containing PCBs.
10.2.1.3 Transfer calculations
The spreadsheet does not yet contain a standard procedure for estimating transfers from other carbon-based waste; users can therefore use one of the approaches mentioned above in the Emission Codes Table.
10.2.2 Non-carbon-based waste
10.2.2.1 Process description
NPRI substances that may be contained in other materials, water contaminated with oil and carbon, used filter bags and refractories from baking furnaces.
10.2.2.3 Transfer calculations
- Date modified: