A National Pollutant Release Inventory for Canada: The Final Report of the Multi-stakeholder Advisory Committee (December 1992)
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- THE PURPOSE OF THE NPRI
- RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE MULTI-STAKEHOLDER ADVISORY COMMITTEE
- UNRESOLVED ISSUES
- RECOMMENDATIONS FOR FURTHER WORK
- HARMONIZATION OF INVENTORY ACCESS AND REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
- THE NPRI CONSULTATIVE MECHANISM
- APPENDIX 1: LIST OF NPRI SUBSTANCES
- APPENDIX 2: CANDIDATE SUBSTANCES FOR ADDITION TO THE NPRI LIST
- APPENDIX 3: THE NATIONAL POLLUTANT RELEASE INVENTORY CONSULTATION TERMS OF REFERENCE
- APPENDIX 4: DEFINITIONS FOR THE NPRI
- APPENDIX 5: COMMITTEE PROPOSALS FOR MAKING NPRI INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC
- APPENDIX 6: MEMBERS OF THE NPRI MULTI-STAKEHOLDER ADVISORY COMMITTEE
- APPENDIX 7: TABLE OF RECOMMENDED NPRI DATA ELEMENTS TO BE REPORTED
APPENDIX 4: DEFINITIONS FOR THE NPRI
A manufactured item that is formed to a specific shape or design during manufacture, that has end-use functions dependent in whole or in part upon its shape during end use, and that does not release a listed substance under normal conditions of the processing or otherwise use of that item at the facility.
All buildings, equipment, structures and other stationary items that are located on a single site or on contiguous or adjacent sites, and are owned or operated by the same person.
A total of 2,000 work-hours per year. This definition is dependent only on the number of hours worked by all employees at the facility during the calendar year, and not on the number of persons working.
To produce, prepare, compound, or import a substance listed in the NPRI. The term "manufacture" includes the generation of a listed substance as a by-product or impurity.
Any use of a listed substance at a facility that does not fall under the definitions of "manufacture" or "process."
The preparation of a listed substance, after its manufacture, for distribution in commerce. Processing includes preparation of the substance in the same physical state or chemical form as that received by a facility, or preparation that produces a change in physical state or chemical form.
The quantities of NPRI substances released on-site to air, water, or land.
The quantities of NPRI substances sent off-site for treatment.
- Date modified: