Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada. You can request alternate formats on the Contact Us page.
The Prairie and Northern Laboratory for Environmental Testing (PNLET) is located at the Northern Forestry Centre, NRCan, Edmonton, Alberta. PNLET consists of two Chemistry Laboratories (Inorganic and Organic) and an Ecotoxicology Laboratory (Environmental Toxicology and Microbiology). There is a staff compliment of 20 to 30 scientists and technical support. The laboratories are fully equipped facilities, accredited according to the standard ISO/IEC 17O25 and capable of handling a broad range of analytical requirements for environmental testing. They provide legal analysis to support the Canadian Environmental Protection Act and the Fisheries Act, and they support major analytical projects for national and international programs. In addition to Environment Canada, the labs support other federal government departments, as well as provincial governments in the Prairies, by providing advice and analytical support for environmental projects and related activities.
PNLET is the national centre of specialization for microbial (bacterial, yeast and mold) identification for CEPA New Substances Notification (NSN) regulations, radium 226 radionuclides analysis, National Sediment Laboratory for Water Survey of Canada National Sediment Program, ozone depleting substances and phosphate in detergent guidelines under the Fisheries Act.
- Enforcement Branch – Forensic Analysis/Compliance
- Environmental Protection Operation Directorate Compliance Promotion – New Substances Notification Regulations Analysis, Environmental Effects Monitoring
- Atmospheric Science and Technology – Pesticide Research
Other Federal Clients
- Fisheries and Oceans – Forensic Analysis
- Natural Resources Canada – Program Support
- Health Canada – Forensic Analysis and Program Support
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada – Forensic Analysis and Program Support
- Department of National Defense – Forensic Analysis and Program Support
- Parks Canada – Forensic Analysis and Program Support
- Alberta Environment – Forensic Analysis and Program Support
- Manitoba/Saskatchewan Government – Forensic Analysis and Program Support
- NWT Government – Forensic Analysis and Program Support
PNLET is an international training facility working in conjunction with the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA). PNLET has recently trained international scientists and laboratories from Egypt, Barbados and Vietnam on topics such as Laboratory Methods, QA/QC and Information Management.
Narine Gurprasad, Manager
Prairie and Northern Laboratory for Environmental Testing
WSTD, S&T Branch
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 3S5
tel.: (780) 435-7335
fax: (780) 435-7268
- Date Modified: