Existing Permittee

Renewing a permit

It is not currently possible to renew a disposal at sea permit. Under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA), permits may be valid for up to one year. If your operations will extend beyond one year, you must apply for another permit. If there are no changes to the pollution sources in the vicinity of your operations, the scientific data supporting your original application remains valid for up to four years. Environment Canada (EC) is in the process of examining the feasibility of a renewal process.

Making changes to a permit

Permits can be amended during their specified term to change certain conditions. An amendment may be subject to review and if it is significant, a new permit may be required. Any amendment to an existing permit is subject to the same publication requirements as the permit itself; it must be published in the Canada Gazette and takes effect 30 days from the date of its publication.

Amendments typically include:

  • adding or removing sites;
  • decreasing or extending the term (up to a maximum of one year);
  • increasing the quantity; or
  • adding or removing special conditions.

Depending on the nature of these changes, further public consultation may be required. For dredged material or inert, inorganic geological matter, the permit fee of $470 per thousand cubic metres, applies to any additional quantity. If the amendment request would result in a permit which deviates significantly from the original permit, a new application may be required.

Amendments may be requested by writing to the Disposal at Sea Program staff at your EC Regional Office.

Disposal at Sea Permit Amendments

The Disposal at Sea Permit amendment process is similar to that for a permit application. The differences are:

  1. There is no requirement for a Notice of Application; 
  2. There is no application fee; and
  3. There is no prescribed form.

A Disposal at Sea Permit cannot be amended if it has expired. Permit holders must submit any request for an amendment with sufficient time to allow for review, publication in the Canada Gazette, and expiry of the 30 day waiting period.


For every unused 1000 m3 of the Permit fees paid, permittees can apply for a refund. The permittee must submit their written request to the National Head Office of the Disposal at Sea Program, located in the National Capital Region with a copy to the nearest regional office. Refunds will be issued by EC in the NCR and refunds will be paid by cheque. (Permittees within the federal government will receive their refunds through the Interdepartmental Settlement system.) Please note that it is not possible to credit future applications.

The request must be made within 30 days of the expiry of the permit or completion of the activities under the permit.

To qualify for a refund, permittees must have paid all fees in full, complied with all reporting requirements and completed the work under the permit. The request for refund can be processed when the regional office has received the final disposal report showing the amounts disposed of under the permit. The regional office will examine the report and confirm the amount to be refunded.

Final Report

The Permittee is required to submit a written report to the Minister, as represented by the Regional Director, within 30 days of either the completion of the work or the expiry of the permit, whichever comes first. This report should contain the pertinent information from the following list as identified in the Disposal at Sea permit: a list of all work completed pursuant to the permit, including the names and/or location of the loading and disposal site(s) used, the quantity of matter disposed of at each of the disposal site (s), the nature and quantity of matter disposed of, the dates on which disposal activities occurred and the Register of Disposal at Sea Operations.