† (2 Canadian fatalities)

Legend of sources

Developing near the Cape Verde Islands, Storm #6 began on September 4, 1948 and became a category four hurricane, with winds as strong as 213 km/h (115 knots). Storm #6 weakened slightly as it entered the CHC Response Zone on September 14th as a category three hurricane. It weakened quickly to a strong category one hurricane of 148 km/h (80 knots) by the time it moved into Canadian waters after midnight on the 15th. Although it remained offshore from Newfoundland, flooding was present throughout that province: several bridges fell, and many roads were damaged. A child was killed when a landslide damaged a home in Newfoundland and a man died when his schooner was caught in the storm. On September 16th, the hurricane left the CHC Response Zone and diminished on the same day.

September 17, 1948

  • One man was lost from the Portuguese schooner Gasparwhen it was caught in the storm and 41 other men were rescued from the abandoned ship (ET)


September 15, 1948

  • Two coastal railway steamers were delayed from Newfoundland port (ET)

September 16, 1948

  • A three year old girl died when a landslide demolished part of her home on Southside Road West.The landslide of sod and clay ran down the hill and crashed into the first floor of there home (ET)
  • All train traffic halted in St. John’s during the storm (ET)
  • Silt covered the tracks on the southside of St. John’s, and there were other disturbances along the line from the city to Holyrood (ET)
  • At Holyrood, a small trestle with two concrete abutments was washed out into the bay (ET)
  • At Avondale, the track was covered with gravel for several hours (ET)
  • At Torbay Airport, all flights were cancelled until the storm passed (ET)
  • The highway around Conception Bay was closed to traffic at Avondale, and motor vehicles had to bypass at Holyrood (ET)
  • The road to Cape Saint Francis was damaged. Washouts were as big as 1.2 m (4 ft) deep and small bridges were damaged or washed away (ET)
  • Damage was caused to four other homes in the area and damages to the personal belongings (ET)
  • Waterford River was also drastically flooded with water. At the bend near Mill Bridge the river overflowed and flooded 13 houses (ET)
  • Mill Lane and Southside Road in St. John’s, were also flooded when a river flooded causing danger to more houses (ET)
  • The Springdale Street and Water Street area where the hardest hit streets in St. John’s (ET)
  • Feildian Grounds were flooded and the river flowing into Quidi Vidi Lake was flooded (ET)
  • Poplar Avenue in St. John’s was flooded (ET)
  • A taxi was stranded in 0.6 m (2 ft) of water and men had to paddle boats to get to their home, as a blocked sewer flooded the street (ET)
  • Topsail Road was flooded on Palk’s Hill. It washed away part of a sidewalk on the entrance to Water Street and uprooted slabs of pavement (ET)
  • At Syme’s Bridge, the flood went through a section of the road from the southern side creating a deep gap about 4.5 m (15 ft) wide (ET)
  • A bridge next to Waterford Hall was also flooded (ET)
  • At Kilbride, a river overflowed and was running into Bowring Park’s swimming and boat pools. It continued to flow over the breakwater at Littledale Church and threw up large pieces of pavement (ET)
  • The telegram counted three poles down, and the Waterford River poles were either down or angled (ET)
  • On Newtown Road there were five poles lying across the road (ET)
  • Blackhead Road was completely impassable. Hundreds of tons of gravel were lying over the tracks (ET)
  • In Avondale, a house was almost completely submerged in water formed by a new lake (ET)
  • Hanlon’s Bridge on Nagle’s Hill was carried away and the road to Mount Scio was washed out (ET)
  • Long Pond rose 1.2 m (4 ft) above normal and overflowed the road near the bridge for 30 m (100 ft) (ET)
  • At Thorburn Turnpike near Kenmount Road, the entire area was converted into a lake (ET)
  • On Elizabeth Street, St. John’s, water from the north side created lakes at several places (ET)
  • On Rennie’s Mill Road in St. John’s, a column of water rushed from the manhole 0.6 m (2 ft) in the air. Rennie’s River rose to a height that it broke the left bank and overflowed the land between the river and Portugal Cove Road (ET)
  • At Kent’s Pond a wide stream flowed across the road (ET)
  • Much of Old Cove Road near Round Pond, St. John’s was under water and Oliver’s Pond swept frothy and deep water across the road (ET)

September 17, 1948

  • The West End Fire Hall near LeMarchant Road, St. John’s was flooded (ET)
  • On Cabot Street, St. John’s, water washed away an embankment near a property (ET)

September 18, 1948

  • One ship reported winds of more than 130 km/h (70 knots) off Grand Bank (ET)
  • A record of 115 mm (4.5 in) of rain fell at Fort Pepperrell (ET)
  • Washout between Tors Cove and Mobile was approximately 6 m (20 ft) long and 4.2 m (14 ft) deep (ET)
  • Between Tors Cove and Hell Hill, there were a few washouts (ET)
  • After Hell Hill, there were a few washouts near Witless Bay (ET)
  • At Holyrood, serious washouts occurred on the highway (ET)
  • At Baybulls, Witless Bay there were washouts reported (ET)
  • At Outer Cove, a landslide damaged the road (ET)
  • From Pouch Cove to Bauline, debris piled up against a bridge and blocked the road (ET)
  • At St. Brides and Cuslett a bridge was washed away (ET)
  • From the Placentia Road junction to town of Placentia the road was severely damaged (ET)
  • At Mitchell’s Brook Salmonier, the bridge was washed away (ET)
  • At Patrick’s Cove, Placentia Bay the road was completely destroyed (ET)
  • At St. Joseph’s Salmonier, a road was washed out (ET)
  • Little Barrachoi Road was washed out (ET)
  • Raging water created a ravine 1 m (3 ft) long and 1–1.5 m (3–5 ft) wide. It took out about 0.6 m (2 ft) of the White Hills Road surface and 1.2 m (4 ft) off the shoulder (ET)