International Polar Year (IPY)
The role of Canadian Ice Service (CIS) during the International Polar Year 2007-08 consisted of:
- Providing logistical assistance to Canadian Coast Guard and marine research vessels in the field, as well as to other shore-based scientists;
- Taking a lead role in the archiving and dissemination of sea ice data and satellite images for scientific research.
Canadian Ice Service's International Polar Year Products
- Weekly RADARSAT Mosaics
- RADARSAT, Quikscat and other animations
- Arctic Weather products
- IPY Ice Logistics Portal
- IPY-themed Annual Arctic Atlases
- Arctic Seasonal Summaries for 2007 and 2008
Weekly RADARSAT Mosaics
These image mosaics compliment the regular weekly regional sea ice charts produced for three Canadian Arctic areas. The latest mosaics are available in quickview format below. Mosaics spanning the entire IPY period are publically available in gif/pdf format.
RADARSAT, Quikscat and other Animations
- RADARSAT animations
- Western Arctic
- Eastern Arctic
- Hudson Bay
- Nares Strait
- Lincoln Sea Conchoidal Fractures
- North Open Water Polynya
- Quikscat animations
- 2004-01-01 to 2007-03-31
- 2007-09-07 to 2008-06-08
- 2008-01-01 to 2008-10-08
- 2008-10-01 to 2009-03-12
- Other animations
Arctic Weather Products
Arctic wind forecast visualizations and Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer (AVHRR) images are available for download.
FTP access to Arctic wind forecasts and AVHRR Imagery.
International Polar Year (IPY) Ice Logistics Portal
This web site represents an international collaborative effort and hosts ice charts contributed by all the sea ice services in the world, for both the Arctic and the Antarctic. Access the IPY Ice Logistics Portal web site.
International Polar Year-themed Annual Arctic Atlases
Environment Canada's Canadian Ice Service's Annual Arctic Atlases are documents that detail the freeze-up and winter ice conditions in the Canadian Arctic. They include text summaries of the autumn freeze-up, and ice charts and synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) image mosaics for the peak of the winter period for three main regions (the Western Arctic, the Eastern Arctic and Hudson Bay). For IPY, these Atlases were expanded to include more detailed summaries and mosaics for ten additional sub-regions important to IPY research projects.
Arctic Seasonal Summaries for the two International Polar Year (IPY) Summers
Environment Canada's Canadian Ice Service's Arctic Seasonal Summaries provide a summary of prevailing ice and weather conditions during the summer melt-season.
- Seasonal Summary for the Canadian Arctic - Summer 2007 [2007-12-07]
- Seasonal Summary for the Canadian Arctic - Summer 2008 [2008-12-18]
- Date Modified: