Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Program: Consultations
Expansion of the GHGRP
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) is proposing to expand the reporting requirements under the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Program (GHGRP), in order to:
- enable direct use of the reported data in Canada’s National Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Inventory
- increase the consistency and comparability of GHG data across jurisdictions
- obtain a more comprehensive picture of emissions by Canadian facilities.
The proposed changes include:
- Lowering the reporting threshold from 50 000 tonnes to 10 000 tonnes (10 kilotonnes). All facilities that emit the equivalent of 10 kilotonnes or more of GHGs in carbon dioxide equivalent units (CO2 eq) per year will be required to submit a report.
- Requiring facilities to provide additional data and apply specific quantification methods to determine emissions. These new requirements will be gradually phased in.
- Identifying sectors and activities for the first phase of the expansion (2017 reported data): manufacturers of cement, lime, iron & steel and aluminum, as well as carbon capture, transport and geological storage.
The Notice of intent to inform stakeholders of upcoming consultations on proposed changes to the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program provides further information on anticipated changes to the program (published December 10, 2016).
ECCC is conducting consultations with GHGRP stakeholders from May 5 to June 30, 2017.
Consultation materials detailing proposed changes were circulated to current and prospective facility reporters. To obtain a copy of the full proposal, please contact the GHGRP.
The GHGRP welcomes comments from stakeholders and the public until June 30, 2017.
Information sessions (via WebEx) will be held to provide an overview of proposed changes to the program:
|Session 1||May 25th, 1:00 to 2:30 EDT||English||Register Now|
|Session 2||June 5th, 10:30 to 12:00 EDT||French||Register Now|
|Session 3||June 5th, 1:00 to 2:30 EDT||English||Register Now|
To sign up for one of these sessions, click “Register Now” above.
- Date modified: