This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Past Consultations - Public consultation information
Updating the Regulatory Framework for the Transboundary Movement of Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Materials
Environment Canada (EC) is undertaking a review of the following three regulations controlling the movement of wastes and hazardous recyclable materials:
- the Export and Import of Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Material Regulations, 2005 (EIHWHRMR);
- the Interprovincial Movement of Hazardous Waste Regulations, 2002 (IMHWR), and;
- the Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCB) Waste Export Regulations, 1996.
Building on the work and consultations done over the past few years this review includes the following elements:
- new provisions regulating the export and import of non-hazardous waste for final disposal;
- new provisions to improve the regulation of the export and import of designated electrical and electronic equipment destined for final disposal, recycling or reuse;
- streamlining and integrating provisions for the export and import of hazardous waste containing PCB;
- simplification of IMHWR requirements and alignment of definitions with current EIHWHRMR;
- administrative adjustments to improve clarity, accuracy, and efficiency without affecting the essence of the regulations.
In order to provide focus and guidance for the consultation process, EC has prepared a discussion document outlining the key elements of its proposed review.
Discussion Document (PDF; 144 Kb)
Interested parties have until June 14th, 2010 to provide comments in writing to EC. Comments should be sent to either of the following addresses:
Consultation - Transboundary Movement Regulatory Framework
Waste Reduction and Management Division
351 St-Joseph Blvd, 14th Floor
Gatineau QC K1A 0H3
Please type “Consultation - Transboundary Movement Regulatory Framework” in the subject line of your message
All written input received will be considered prior to drafting and publishing the proposed regulatory provisions in the Canada Gazette, Part I.
- Date modified: