Help the Government of Canada organize its website!
Complete an anonymous 5-minute questionnaire. Start now.
Export and Import of Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Material Regulations (EIHWHRMR) User Guide
- General Information
- Interpretation and Definitions
- General Provisions
- Appropriate Authorities
- Contracts and Insurance
- Summary of Conditions on Exports, Imports and Transits
- Movement Document
- Summary of Conditions on Returns
- Confirmation of Disposal or Recycling
- Pre-Approved Facilities
- Waste Export Reductions Plans
- Environmentally Sound Management Criteria
Section 190 of Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA) 1999 authorizes the issuance of permits of equivalent level of environmental safety (PELES), which may be used to obtain a variance from the Regulations under specific conditions. Variances must be consistent under Canada’s international obligations, and are issued on a case-by-case basis.
When requesting a PELES for this purpose, the following information should be provided:
- the name of the regulation and specific sections of the regulation from which the variance is being requested
- the applicant’s complete contact information, including a Canadian address and the name of a contact person
- a description of the applicant’s activities/procedures, in order to provide a clear picture of what happens during a transboundary movement of hazardous wastes or hazardous recyclable materials under various scenarios
- a description of the hazardous wastes or hazardous recyclable materials to be transited
- an explanation and justification of the mechanism or alternate activity the applicant plans to use to provide a level of environmental safety equivalent to that provided by the regulation.
- Date Modified: