2-Methoxyethanol (2-ME), 2-Ethoxyethanol (2-EE), and 2-Butoxyethanol (2-BE)
Listed on the Second Priority Substances List (PSL2) 2-Methoxyethanol and 2-Butoxyethanol are considered to be CEPA toxic and have been added to the List of Toxic Substances. 2-Ethoxyethanol is not considered to be CEPAtoxic.
2-Methoxyethanol, 2-ethoxyethanol, and 2-butoxyethanol are one of 25 substances or groups of substances placed on the Second Priority Substances List (PSL2) to determine whether they posed a significant risk to the environment in Canada or to the health of Canadians.
Assessment Status and Conclusion
Environment Canada and Health Canada completed the assessments of 2-methoxyethanol, 2-ethoxyethanol, and 2-butoxyethanol.
The scientific assessments indicate that 2-methoxyethanol and 2-butoxyethanol are both entering the environment in a quantity or concentration or under conditions that constitute or may constitute a danger in Canada to human life or health, and therefore are considered to be CEPA toxic.
The proposed Order to add 2-methoxyethanol and 2-butoxyethanol to the List of Toxic Substances in Schedule 1 of CEPA 1999 was published in the Canada Gazette, Part I, on October 25th, 2003. No comments or Notices of Objection were received during the 60-day public comment period following the publication of the proposed Order.
The Order adding 2-methoxyethanol and 2-butoxyethanol to the List of Toxic Substances was published on March 9th, 2005 in the Canada Gazette, Part II.
Based on the considerations in the assessment, 2-ethoxyethanol does not pose a danger to either the environment or to human life or health in Canada, and therefore, it is not considered to be CEPA toxic.
- The public comment period on the draft assessment reports for 2-methoxyethanol, 2-ethoxyethanol, and 2-butoxyethanol began on August 19th, 2000, and ended on October 18th, 2000. There were no comments provided related to 2-methoxyethanol assessment.
- Risk Management - Please refer to the Management of Toxic Substances website for the Risk Management of 2-methoxyethanol and 2-butoxyethanol.
- PSL1 Report on 2-Methoxyethanol (2002)
- PSL1 Report on 2-Ethoxyethanol (2002)
- PSL1 Report on 2-Butoxyethanol (2002), and Addendum (2003)
To obtain a paper copy of any report listed above, please contact the Inquiry Centre of Environment Canada at:
70 Crémazie Street, 7th Floor
Canada K1A 0H3
- Date modified: