Help the Government of Canada organize its website!
Complete an anonymous 5-minute questionnaire. Start now.
Turkey Lakes Harvesting Impacts Project
- Clear Cut System - Compartment 41
- Shelterwood System - Compartment 34
- Selection System - Compartment 33
- Uncut Control - Compartment 42
- Microclimatic Research
- Nutrient Leaching from the Forest Soil
- Forest Hydrology
- Harvesting Impacts on Headwater Streams
- Forest Productivity
- Effects of Shelterwood Harvesting on Songbirds
Shelterwood System - Compartment 34
Mature trees are harvested in a series of two or more cuts for the purpose of obtaining natural regeneration under the shelter of residual trees. This treatment leads to the establishment of even-aged forest.
Mark to reduce canopy coverage to 50% of original
Retain better quality dominant or co-dominant yellow birch and sugar maple
Harvested summer 1997
Second cut scheduled for 2007 (provided regeneration established)
- Date Modified: