Photo: Lake Winnipeg near Gimli © Environment Canada, 2014
Did you know that Canada is one of the highest water users per capita in the world? It's no wonder that easy access to safe, clean water is considered to be an important issue. Managing Canada's water resources, which represents about seven per cent of the world's renewable freshwater, is everyone’s responsibility.
Learn more about Environment Canada’s role in water management, and how the Department is helping to ensure that our water resources are used wisely, both economically and ecologically:
- Environment Canada’s Comprehensive Approach to Clean Water
The Department has a strong, comprehensive approach to ensuring clean water for all Canadians.
- Great Lakes
Learn about the Great Lakes and Environment Canada’s investment in cleaning up this important basin.
- St. Lawrence
Find out more about the St. Lawrence River, including scientific information on how Environment Canada is helping monitor this important water source.
- Lake Simcoe and South-eastern Georgian Bay
See how Environment Canada is investing in cleaning up Lake Simcoe and South-eastern Georgian Bay.
- Lake Winnipeg
See how Environment Canada is investing in cleaning up Lake Winnipeg.
- Water Quality Monitoring
Read about how Environment Canada monitors the quality of our waters.
- Water Quantity Monitoring
Learn about Environment Canada’s hydrometric program and find water level and flow data for Canadian lakes and rivers.
Find out how Environment Canada is addressing wastewater pollution.
- Water Science & Technology
Learn about how science and technology contributes to sustaining Canada’s water resources and freshwater ecosystems.
- World Water Day: The importance of maintaining water quality and availability
- Taking Action for a Healthier Lake Winnipeg
- Water Survey of Canada: Second Generation Technologists continue important monitoring
- Fresh Water Quality Monitoring and Surveillance Team
- Colourful Research - Remote Sensing for Algal Blooms
- Science is Benefitting You: Freshwater (Video)
- Date Modified: