Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the Contact Us page.
Help the Government of Canada organize its website!
Complete an anonymous 5-minute questionnaire. Start now.
Environment Minister Meets With Members of Hunting and Angling Advisory Panel
OTTAWA, Ont. -- October 12, 2012 -- Canada’s Environment Minister, the Honourable Peter Kent, had his first meeting with members of the Hunting and Angling Advisory Panel (HAAP) on Friday, October 5, 2012. The inaugural meeting focused on organizational aspects of the HAAP, such as setting the terms of reference, meeting schedule, etc. The members represent a wide collection of hunting, trapping, angling and conservation organizations who were appointed in May 2012, following an announcement by Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
“Friday’s inaugural meeting of the Hunting and Angling Advisory Panel was a constructive and positive first step in knowledge sharing,” said Minister Kent. “The Government of Canada recognizes that hunting, angling and trapping are central to the livelihood, recreation and tradition of many Canadians as well as to their local and regional tourism industries. It was a pleasure to meet with so many organizations committed to the protection, and promotion, of Canada’s environment. The success of the grassroots approach they have taken towards conservation is inspiring.”
The Panel’s purpose is to provide advice to the Government of Canada on a range of federal policies, programs and activities related to conservation, hunting, trapping and angling. It will also ensure that government decisions are based on inclusive, broad informed advice, while promoting and encouraging effective stewardship of Canada’s fish and wildlife.
The Panel is expected to meet twice annually. The next meeting will occur in early 2013.
Panel membership includes:
- Alberta Fish and Game Association
- Atlantic Salmon Federation
- British Columbia Wildlife Federation
- Canadian Federation of Outfitter Associations
- Canadian Shooting Sports Association
- Canadian Sportfishing Industry Association
- Delta Waterfowl
- Ducks Unlimited Canada
- Fédération québécoise des chasseurs et pêcheurs
- Fur Institute of Canada
- Manitoba Wildlife Federation
- New Brunswick Wildlife Federation
- Newfoundland and Labrador Wildlife Federation
- Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters
- Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
- Pacific Salmon Foundation
- Prince Edward Island Wildlife Federation
- Safari Club International - Canada
- Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation
- Trout Unlimited Canada
- Wildlife Habitat Canada
- Yukon Fish and Game Association
For more information, please contact:
Office of the Minister of the Environment
Environment Canada's Twitter page: http://twitter.com/environmentca
Environment Canada's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/environmentcan
- Date Modified: