This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Minister Kent Highlights Canada’s Environmental Achievements during European Tour
BRUSSELS, Belgium - May 15, 2013 - Canada’s Environment Minister, the Honourable Peter Kent, spoke today with the Centre for European Policy Studies in Brussels, Belgium, on Canada’s environmental achievements and the importance of collaborating with international partners to advance mutual goals in ensuring a clean, safe and sustainable environment and addressing climate change.
“Every country has its own unique geographic, economic and social landscape—which impacts its environmental challenges and solutions,” said Minister Kent. “There are no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solutions to reducing emissions. Mutual progress relies on effective collaboration that recognizes individual challenges and solutions.”
In today’s speech, Minister Kent reaffirmed that Canada is serious about taking action on all fronts—domestic and international—to address the impacts of climate change and other environmental challenges. Topics covered in the speech included:
- Canada’s sector-by-sector approach to reduce greenhouse gases;
- Emissions reductions in the oil sands and highlighting the joint monitoring portal;
- Canada’s commitment to meeting its Copenhagen commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 17 percent below 2005 levels by 2020;
- Canada’s more stringent regulations in a variety of areas;
- Canada’s investment of $1.2 billion towards climate change fast-start financing to help developing economies reduce emissions and adapt to climate change;
- Canada's work with business and international partners to encourage innovative environmental technologies and clean energy;
- Canada’s leadership in chemical management and Canada’s Chemicals Management Plan;
- Advancements in the protection of wildlife, water and land in Canada.
For more on Canada’s environmental achievements, please read Minister Kent’s speech.
For more information, please contact:
Mary Ann Dewey-Plante
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of the Environment
- Date modified: