Help the Government of Canada organize its website!
Complete an anonymous 5-minute questionnaire. Start now.
Dr. Ken Denman
Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis
Senior Research Scientist
Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis
Ken Denman is a Senior Scientist with Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO), seconded to the Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis of Environment Canada, located at the University of Victoria where he is an Adjunct Professor. He is Coordinating Lead Author of Chapter 7 of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) WG1 AR4 titled "Couplings between changes in the climate system and biogeochemistry". He was the Coordinating Lead Author of a chapter in the Second Assessment Report (1995) of IPCC WG1, titled “Marine biotic responses to environmental change and feedbacks to climate". The IPCC shared the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize with Al Gore for its work on climate change. Dr. Denman was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1999. In 1988 he won the President’s Prize of the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society for his research, in 2006 he was awarded the T.R. Parsons Medal for excellence in ocean science, and in 2007 he was awarded the Wooster Award of the North Pacific Marine Sciences Organization (PICES) for his interdisciplinary research on the North Pacific Ocean. He recently completed 6 years as a member of the Joint Scientific Committee of the World Climate Research Programme, and is a member of the British Columbia Premier's Climate Action Team. He received a PhD in ocean physics from the University of British Columbia.
- interactions between marine planktonic ecosystems, ocean biogeochemical processes and a changing climate
- developing coupled physical-biogeochemical models of the ocean, including carbon cycling and marine foodwebs
- B.Sc., Physics (Calgary)
- Ph.D., Ocean Physics (UBC)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
- Wooster Award for significant scientific contributions to North Pacific marine science, North Pacific Marine Sciences Organization (PICES), 2007.
- T.R. Parsons Award for Excellence in Ocean Sciences, Fisheries and Oceans Canada & Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society, 2006.
- President's Prize, Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society, 1988.
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) shared the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize with Al Gore for "their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change".
Committees and Appointments
- Member, British Columbia Premier's Climate Action Team, 2007-2008.
- Coordinating Lead Author in the IPCC Climate Change 2007 AR4 report of chapter titled "Couplings between changes in the climate system and biogeochemistry".
- Convening Lead Author in the IPCC Climate Change 1995 SAR report of chapter titled "Marine biotic responses to environmental change and feedbacks to climate".
- International and Canadian SOLAS Scientific Steering Committees (2001-2006)
- Joint Scientific Committee for the World Climate Research Programme (2001-2006)
- Adjunct Professor at the University of Victoria, School of Earth and Ocean Sciences
Invited Talks Since 1998
- Invited talk, K. Denman, 'Climate change: the collision of science, politics, and ethics', Business Futures of the Americas Conference, American Association of Chambers of Commerce of Latin America, Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago, June, 2008.
- Invited lectures, K. Denman, 1. 'Feedbacks between ocean ecosystems, ocean biogeochemistry and climate', 2. 'Formulations of marine ecosystem models that respond to climate', and 3. 'Simulation of climate change with a global climate carbon-cycle model', Alpine Summer School on Interaction and Coevolution of Climate and Biosphere, Val d'Aosta, Italy, June. 2008.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, 'Climate change: DFO's role', DFO Deputy Minister's Science Management Board, Ottawa, April, 2008.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, 'Climate change: the collision of science + policy + politics + ethics', Withinsight Students Annual Workshop "Leaders of the Wired World", Ottawa, March, 2008.
- Invited lecture, K. Denman, 'Climate change and marine ecosystems', Class in Resource Management, Malaspina University College, Nanaimo, January, 2008.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, 'The Canadian Global Carbon Cycle Model: First results from the CCCma coupled carbon cycle climate model 'CanESM', Atmospheric Physics Group, University of Toronto, December, 2007.
- Invited Keynote Lecture, K. Denman, 'The North Pacific, human activity, and climate change', North Pacific Marine Science Organization (PICES) 16th Annual Meeting, Victoria, October, 2007.
- Invited talk, K.Denman, 'A short story from climate change', Common Energy Network 'Going Beyond Climate-Neutral Conference', University of Victoria, October, 2007.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, 'Climate change and marine ecosystems: feedbacks and impacts', University of Washington Program on Climate Change Annual Summer Institute, Friday Harbor Laboratories WA, September 2007.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, 'How is our climate going to change – from the global scale to our own back yard garden?', Victoria Rhododendron Society, September 2007.
- Invited talk, M. Foreman and K. Denman, 'The influence of climate on physical and biological processes: Issues relevant to the US GLOBEC Pan Regional Synthesis', Second Annual U.S. GLOBEC Pan-Regional Synthesis Workshop, Seattle, September 2007.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, 'Feedbacks between the global carbon cycle, the ocean, and climate: Key issues arising from the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report (AR4)', Second International Conference on Earth System Modelling, Hamburg, August 2007.
- Invited keynote lecture, K. Denman, 'The Fourth IPCC Assessment Report on Climate Change (AR4): A view from the inside', DFO Regional Science Symposium, Institute of Ocean Sciences, Sidney, May, 2007.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, 'The Fourth IPCC Assessment Report on Climate Change (AR4): Key new findings and key science issues', CMOS Ottawa Chapter, Ottawa, April, 2007.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, 'The Fourth IPCC Assessment Report on Climate Change (AR4): A view from the inside', DFO ADM-Science Lecture, Ottawa, April, 2007.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, 'The Fourth IPCC Assessment Report on Climate Change: A view from the inside', SEOS Fireside Chat, University of Victoria, February, 2007.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, 'The Fourth IPCC Assessment Report on Climate Change: A view from the inside', Friday Morning Ocean Sciences Talk, Institute of Ocean Sciences, Sidney, February, 2007.
- Invited lecture, K. Denman, 'Climate Change: How is it affecting the ocean?', Class in Resource Management, Malaspina University College, Nanaimo, February, 2007.
- Invited comments, K. Denman, 'Climate Change: How is it affecting ocean biogeochemistry?', Panel Discussion, University of Victoria – Royal Society of Canada Forum, "Are We Killing the World's Oceans?", February, 2007.
- Invited talk, K. Denman and T.M. Powell, 'US GLOBEC pan-regional synthesis: an outsider's view', US GLOBEC Pan-Synthesis Workshop, Boulder, CO, November, 2006.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, A. Peña, and B. Frost, 'Ecosystem modelling at Ocean Station P: What have we learned about the subarctic NE Pacific?', PICES/DFO Fifty Years of Line P Symposium, Victoria, July, 2006.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, N. Steiner, N. McFarlane, C. Voelker, and A Peña, 'Connecting SOLAS to climate change: Extrapolating to larger spatial and longer time scales', CMOS Annual Congress, Toronto, May, 2006.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, G. Flato, N. Roulet, 'Yes, the ocean has an ecosystem too', Fluxnet Canada Research Network Annual Meeting, Victoria, February 2006.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, G. Flato, and N. Roulet, 'The role of the carbon cycle in regulating how the climate responds to emissions from human activities', Science for Solutions Parallel Session at United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change CoP-11, First Meeting of the Parties who ratified the Kyoto Agreement, Montreal, December 2005.
- Invited talk, 'The impact of climate change on the oceans', Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Halifax, June 2005.
- Invited talk, K. Denman, G. Flato, and N. Roulet: 'The Canadian Global Coupled Carbon Climate Model - CGC3M' , Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society Annual Congress, Vancouver, Canada, June, 2005.
- Invited plenary talk: 'The impact of climate change on the oceans', in 'Changing Currents – Charting a course of action for the future of the Oceans', Morris Wosk Centre for Dialogue, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, February, 2005.
- Invited seminar: 'Fertilizing the oceans with iron – can it reverse the buildup of CO2 in the atmosphere?', Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences, UBC, Vancouver, January, 2005.
- Invited Plenary talk: 'Modelling the planktonic community response to iron fertilization', International SOLAS Science Conference, Halifax, Canada, October, 2004.
- Invited seminar: 'Fertilizing the ocean – can it solve the greenhouse gas problem?', Centre for Earth and Ocean Research, U. Victoria, November, 2004.
- Invited talk, K. Denman and A. Peña: 'Modelling iron limitation in the N. Pacific', PICES-IFEP Workshop on 'In situ iron enrichment experiments in the eastern and western subarctic Pacific', Victoria, Canada. February 2004.
- Invited Plenary talk: 'Modelling marine ecosystems: Why do we need models and where are we going?', American Geophysical Union, Ocean Sciences Meeting, Portland USA, January, 2004.
- Invited talk: 'A 3-d model of the ocean carbon cycle: sensitivities to topographic mixing and the biological pump', SCOR/Japanese Oceanographic Society Meeting, Sapporo, September, 2002.
- Invited President's Plenary talk: 'Ocean processes and the global carbon cycle', Canadian Geophysical Union Annual Conference, Banff AB, May, 2002.
- Invited talk: 'The stability of marine ecosystems in a changing climate'. DFO Pacific Science Symposium, Nanaimo BC, May, 2002.
- Invited talk: 'Modelling the planktonic ecosystem: How much complexity is too much?', PICES X Special Session S2 on Plankton size classes, functional groups and ecosystem dynamics: Causes and consequences, Victoria, October, 2001.
- Invited colloquium speaker: 'Marine planktonic ecosystems and climate change: Can we see the future?', McGill University, September, 2001.
- Invited talk: 'Simulating the response to the 1976 climate shift in the North Pacific Ocean with a coupled ocgm/biogeochemical model', Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society, Victoria, June, 2001.
- Invited talks: 'Biological oceanographic futures.com', and 'Models of the response of planktonic ecosystems to climate change', Scripps Institution of Oceanography, San Diego, May, 2001.
- Invited talks: 'The response of two coupled 1-d mixed layer / planktonic ecosystem models to climate change', and 'Investigation of the 1976 climate shift in the N. Pacific with a coupled ecosystem / isopycnic model'. Workshop on Biotic Influences on Climate Change, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, April, 2001.
- Invited seminar: 'Simulation of the planktonic ecosystem response to pre- and post-1976 forcing in an isopycnic model of the North Pacific', University of Victoria, December, 2000.
- Invited talk: 'Marine ecosystems and global warming', BCIT/DFO Public Lecture Series, BC Institute of Technology Marine Centre, North Vancouver, November, 2000.
- Invited talk: 'Will we have sufficient data to evaluate the performance of coupled 3-dimensional biogeochemical ocean basin models?' Symposium on North Pacific CO2 Data Synthesis, Tsukuba, Japan, October, 2000.
- Invited seminar: 'The times are changing - Can we see the future?', Institute of Ocean Sciences 21st Century Lecture Series, January, 2000.
- Invited seminar: 'The subarctic Pacific ecosystem may work in practice, but will it ever work in theory?', School of Oceanography, University of Washington, Seattle, June, 1999.
- Invited talk: 'A minimal model of ecology: advantages of parsimony', U.S. GLOBEC Workshop on Biophysical Modelling, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA, January, 1998.
- Arora, V.K., G. J. Boer, C. L. Curry, J. R. Christian, K. Zahariev, K. L. Denman, G. M. Flato, J. F. Scinocca, and W. J. Merryfield, The 20th century carbon budget simulated with the CCCma earth system model CanESM1, Submitted to Journal of Climate, May, 2008.
- Yamazaki, H., H. Burchard, K. Denman, and T. Nagai, One-dimensional mixed layer models, Encyclopedia of Ocean Sciences, Second Edition, available on line, August, 2008.
- Lavoie, D., K. Denman, and R. Macdonald, 2008. Primary productivity and export fluxes on the Canadian shelf of the Beaufort Sea: a modelling study, Journal of Marine Systems, accepted 11 July, 2008.
- Denman, K.L, 2008. Climate change, ocean processes, and iron fertilization, Marine Ecology Progress Series, 364, 219-225.
- Steiner, N. and K. Denman, 2008. Parameter sensitivities in a 1-D model for DMS and sulphur cycling in the upper ocean, Deep-Sea Research I, 55, 847-865.
- Zahariev, K., J. Christian, and K. Denman, 2008. A global ocean carbon model with novel parameterizations of iron limitation, calcification and N2 fixation: preindustrial, historical, and fertilization simulations, Progress in Oceanography, 77, 56-82.
- Denman, K.L., G. Brasseur, A. Chidthaisong, P. Ciais, P. Cox, R.E. Dickinson, D. Haugustaine, C. Heinze, E. Holland, D. Jacob, U. Lohmann, S Ramachandran, P.L. da Silva Dias, S. C. Wofsy and X. Zhang, 2007. Couplings Between Changes in the Climate System and Biogeochemistry. p. 499-587, In: Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Solomon, S., D. Qin, M. Manning, Z. Chen, M. Marquis, K.B. Averyt, M.Tignor and H.L. Miller (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
- St. John, M.A., C.L. Moloney, K.L. Denman, D.M. Karl, F.W. Köster, S. Sundby and R.P. Wilson, Newton and Kelvin meet Darwin in the complex sea of global change: unravelling marine food webs end to end, submitted to Trends in Ecology and Evolution, June, 2007.
- Steiner, N., S. Vagle, K. Denman, and C. McNeil, 2007. Oxygen and nitrogen cycling in the northeast Pacific – Simulations and observations at Station Papa in 2003/2004, Journal of Marine Research, 65, 441-469.
- Zahariev, K., J. R.. Christian, and K. L.. Denman, 2006. The Canadian Model of Ocean Carbon (CMOC) v1.0, manual.
- Denman, K.L., C. Voelker, M.A. Peña, and R.B. Rivkin, 2006. Modelling the ecosystem response to iron fertilization in the subarctic NE Pacific: The influence of grazing, and Si and N cycling onCO2 drawdown, Deep-Sea Research II, 53, 2327-2352.
- Steiner, N., K. Denman, N. McFarlane, and L. Solheim, 2006: Simulating the coupling between atmosphere-ocean processes and the planktonic ecosystem during SERIES, Deep-Sea Research II, 53, 2434-2454.
- Rothstein, L., M. Abbott, E. Chassignet, J.J. Cullen, K. Denman, S. Doney, H. Ducklow, K. Fennel, M. Follows, D. Haidvogel, E. Hofmann, D. Karl, J. Kindle, I. Lima, M. Maltrud, C. McClain, D. McGillicuddy, J. Olascoaga, Y. Spitz, J. Wiggert, and J. Yoder, 2006. Modeling ocean ecosystems: The PARADIGM Program, Oceanography, 19-1, 22-51.
- Lavoie, D., K. Denman, and C. Michel, 2005. Modelling ice algae growth and decline in a seasonally ice-covered region of the Arctic (Resolute Passage, Canadian Archipelago), Journal of Geophysical Research, 110, C11009, doi:10.1029/2005JC002922.
- Johannessen, S.C., M.C. O'Brien, K. L. Denman, and R.W. Macdonald, 2005. Seasonal and spatial variations in the source and transport of sinking particles in the Strait of Georgia, British Columbia, Canada, Marine Geology, 216, 59-77.
- Monahan, A.H., and K.L. Denman, 2004. Impacts of atmospheric variability on a coupled upper-ocean/ecosystem model of the subarctic Northeast Pacific , <>Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 18, GB2010, doi:10.1029/2003GB002100.
- Denman, K.L., 2003. Modelling planktonic ecosystems: parameterizing complexity, Progress in Oceanography, 57, 429-452.
- Miller, A. J., M. A. Alexander, G. J. Boer, F. Chai, K. Denman, D. J. Erickson, R. Frouin, A. J. Gabric, E. A. Laws, M. R. Lewis, Z. Liu, R. Murtugudde, S. Nakamoto, D. J. Neilson, J. R. Norris, J. C. Ohlmann, R. I. Perry, N. Schneider, K. M. Shell, and A. Timmermann, 2003. Potential feedbacks between Pacific Ocean ecosystems and interdecadal climate variations, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 84, 617-633.
- Denman, K.L., Book Review: Diffusion and Ecological Problems: Modern Perspectives, Second Edition. Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics, Volume 14. By Akira Okubo and Simon A. Levin. New York: Springer. xx + 467 p; ISBN: 0-387-98676-6. 2001, Quarterly Review of Biology, 78, p. 123, 2003.
- Denman, K.L., and M.A. Peña, 2002. The response of two coupled 1-D mixed layer / planktonic ecosystem models to climate change in the NE Subarctic Pacific Ocean, Deep-Sea Research II, 49, 5739-5757.
- Yamazaki, H, D. Mackas, and K. Denman, 2002. Coupling small scale physical processes to biology: towards a Lagrangian approach, pp. 51-112, In: A.R. Robinson, J.J. McCarthy and B.J. Rothschild (eds.), The Sea: Biological-Physical Interactions in the Ocean, Vol. 12, John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Denman, K.L., and J.F. Dower, 2001. Patch dynamics, pp. 2107-2114, In: J.H. Steele, S.A. Thorpe and K.K. Turekian (eds.), Encyclopedia of Ocean Sciences, Academic Press, London.
- Dower, J.F., and K.L. Denman, 2001. Some effects of small-scale physical processes on plankton biology, pp. 2834-2839, In: J.H. Steele, S.A. Thorpe and K.K. Turekian (eds.), Encyclopedia of Ocean Sciences, Academic Press, London.
- Denman, K.L., 2001. Responses of pelagic marine ecosystems to climate change – can we predict them?, pp. 127-134, In: L. Bendell-Young and P. Gallaugher (eds), Waters in Peril, Kluwar Academic Publishers, Norwell, Mass., USA.
- Haigh, S.A., K.L. Denman, and W.W. Hsieh, 2001. Simulation of the planktonic ecosystem response to pre- and post-1976 forcing in an isopycnic model of the North Pacific, Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 58, 703-722.
- Denman, K.L., and M.A. Peña, Responses to climate change of coupled 1-D mixed layer / planktonic ecosystem models, In: T. Saino and M. Kusakabe (eds.), The Carbon Cycle in the North Pacific, Proceedings of the International Marine Science Symposium held on 8-10 February 2000, Nagoya, Japan, Japan Marine Science Foundation, Tokyo, in press, March 2000.
- Denman, K.L., 2000. Can we see the future?, pp. 200-206, In: P.J. Harrison and T.R. Parsons (eds.), Fisheries Oceanography: An Integrative Approach to Fisheries Ecology and Management, Blackwell Science Ltd., Oxford, UK.
- Li, Ming, A.E. Gargett, and K.L. Denman, 2000. What determines seasonal and interannual variability of phytoplankton and zooplankton in strongly estuarine systems?, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 50, 467-488.
- Denman, K.L., and M.A. Peña, 2000. Beyond JGOFS, pp. 469-490, In: R. Hanson, H. Ducklow, and J. Field (eds), The Changing Ocean Carbon Cycle: A midterm synthesis of the Joint Global Ocean Flux Study, Cambridge University Press.
- Denman, K.L. and M.A. Peña. 1999. A coupled 1-D biological/physical model of the northeast subarctic Pacific Ocean with iron limitation. Deep-Sea Res. II, 46, 2877-2908.
- Peña, M.A., K.L. Denman, S.E. Calvert, R.E. Thomson, and J.R. Forbes. 1999. The seasonal cycle in sinking particle fluxes off Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Deep-Sea Res. II, 46, 2969-2992.
- Li, Ming, A.E. Gargett and K.L. Denman, 1999. Seasonal and interannual variability of estuarine circulation in a box model of the Strait of Georgia and Juan de Fuca Strait. Atmos.-Ocean, 37, 1-19.
- Yamazaki, H., D. Mackas, and K. Denman, 1999. Coupling turbulence with planktonic organisms, pp. 116-129, In: M. Terazaki, K. Ohtani, T. Sugimoto and Y. Watanabe (eds.), Ecosystem Dynamics of the Kuroshio-Oyashio Transition Region, Proceedings of the International Marine Science Symposium held on 25-28 August 1998, Mutsu, Japan, Japan Marine Science Foundation, Tokyo.
- Denman, K.L., M.A. Peña, and S.P. Haigh. 1998. Simulations of marine ecosystem response to climate variation with a one dimensional coupled ecosystem/mixed layer model. pp. 141-147. In: Biotic Impacts of Extratropical Climate Variability in the Pacific, Proceedings ‘Aha Huliko’a Hawaiian Winter Workshop , University of Hawaii at Manoa, January 25-29, 1998.
- Freeland, H.J., K.L. Denman, C.S. Wong, F. Whitney, and R. Jacques, 1997. Evidence of change in the winter mixed layer in the northeast Pacific Ocean, Deep-Sea Res.,44, 2117-2129.
- Denman, K.L, 1997. A coupled biogeochemical mixed layer model of processes in the subarctic Pacific Ocean, pp. 32-40, In: S. Tsunogai (ed.), Biogeochemical Processes in the North Pacific, Proceedings of the International Marine Science Symposium held on 12-14 November 1996, Mutsu, Japan, Japan Marine Science Foundation, Tokyo.
- Denman, K.L., Hofmann, E.E., and H. Marchant, 1996. Marine biotic responses to environmental change and feedbacks to climate, pp. 483-516, In: Climate Change 1995, J.T. Houghton, L.G. Meira Filho, B.A. Callander, N. Harris, A. Kattenberg and K. Maskell (eds.), Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Date Modified: