Dr. Vivek Arora
Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis
Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis
- 1990 B.E. (Civil), Jamia University, New Delhi, India
- 1993 M.Sc (Hydrology), University College Galway, Ireland
- 1997 Ph.D (Environmental Engineering), University of Melbourne, Australia
- Earth's energy and water balance
- Interaction between the land and the atmosphere at large spatial scales
- Hydrological processes in general circulation models (including river flow routing)
- Impact of climate change and variability on hydrology and water resources
- Carbon budget and modelling of the terrestrial biosphere
- Canadian Terrestrial Ecosystem Model (CTEM)
Climate Carbon Interactions
- Arora, V.K. and G.J. Boer (2010) Uncertainties in the 20th century carbon budget associated with land use change, Global Change Biology, accepted.
- Christian, J. R., V. K. Arora, G. J. Boer, C. Curry, K. Zahariev, K. Denman, G. Flato, W. Lee, W. Merryfield, N. Roulet, and J. Scinocca (2010): The global carbon cycle in the CCCma earth system model CanESM1: preindustrial control simulation, J. Geophy. Res. (Biogeosciences), accepted.
- Boer, G. J., and V. K. Arora (2010) Geographic aspects of temperature and concentration feedbacks in the carbon budget, J. Clim, 23, 775-784.
- Arora, V. K., G. J. Boer, J. R. Christian, C. L. Curry, K. L. Denman, K. Zahariev, G. M. Flato, J. F. Scinocca, W. J. Merryfield, W. G. Lee (2009) The effect of terrestrial photosynthesis down-regulation on the 20th century carbon budget simulated with the CCCma Earth System Model, J. Clim., 22, 6066-6088.
- Boer, G. J., and V. K. Arora (2009) Temperature and concentration feedbacks in the carbon cycle, Geophys. Res. Lett., 36, L02704, doi:10.1029/2008GL036220
Vegetation Dynamics & Terrestrial Ecosystem Modelling
- Arora, V. K., and H. D. Matthews (2009) Characterizing uncertainty in modeling primary terrestrial ecosystem processes, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 23, GB2016, 10.1029/2008GB003398.
- Wang, A., D. Price, and V. Arora (2006) Estimating changes in global vegetation cover (1850-2100) for use in climate models, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 20(3), GB3028, 10.1029/2005GB002514.
- Arora, V.K. and G.J. Boer (2006) Achieving coexistence. Comment on "Modelling rainforest diversity: The role of competition" by Bampfylde et al. (2005), Ecological Modelling, 192(1-2), 322-324.
- Arora, V.K. and G.J. Boer (2006) Simulating competition and coexistence between plant functional types in a dynamic vegetation model, Earth Interactions, Vol. 10, Paper 10, 30 pp.
- Arora, V.K. and G.J. Boer (2005) Fire as an interactive component of dynamic vegetation models, J. Geophys. Res. - Biogeosciences, 110(G2), G02008, 10.1029/2005JG000042.
- Arora, V.K. (2005) Comment on "Optimized stomatal conductance of vegetated land surfaces and its effects on simulated productivity and climate", by A. Kleidon Geophys. Res. Lett., 32(8), L08708, 10.1029/2004GL022110.
- Arora, V.K. and G.J. Boer (2005) A parameterization of leaf phenology for the terrestrial ecosystem component of climate models, Global Change Biology, 11(1), 39-59.
- Arora, V.K. (2003) Decreased heterotrophic respiration reduced growth in atmospheric CO2 concentration, IGBP Global Change Newsletter, No. 54, July 2003, pp. 21-22.
- Arora, V.K. and G.J. Boer (2003) A representation of variable root distribution in dynamic vegetation models, Earth Interactions, Vol. 7, Paper 6, 19 pp.
- Arora, V.K. (2002) Modelling vegetation as a dynamic component in soil-vegetation-atmosphere-transfer schemes and hydrological models, Reviews of Geophysics, 40(2), 1006, 10.1029/2001RG000103
Simulating energy and carbon dioxide fluxes
- Grant R.F., Arain A., Arora V., Barr A., Black T.A., Chen J., Wang, S., Yuan F., and Zhang Y. (2005) Intercomparison of techniques to model high temperature effects on CO2 and energy exchange in temperate and boreal coniferous forests, Ecological Modelling, 188(2-4), 217-252.
- Arora, V.K. (2003) Simulating energy and carbon fluxes over winter wheat using coupled land surface and terrestrial ecosystem models, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 118(1-2), 21-47
River Flow Routing
- Arora, V.K. and S. Harrison (2007), Upscaling river networks for use in climate models, Geophys. Res. Lett., 34, L21407, doi:10.1029/2007GL031865.
- Lucas-Picher, P., V.K. Arora, D. Caya, and R. Laprise (2003) Implementation of a large-scale variable velocity flow routing algorithm in the Canadian Regional Climate Model (CRCM), Atmosphere-Ocean, 41(2), 139-153.
- Lucas-Picher, P., V.K. Arora, D. Caya, and R. Laprise (2002) Incorporating river routing in the Canadian Regional Climate Model, CAS/JSC WGNE Research Activities in Atmospheric and Oceanic Modelling, Report No. 32, April 2002, WMO/TD No. 1105, pp. 7.29-7.30.
- Arora, V.K., F. Seglenieks, N. Kouwen, and E. Soulis (2001) Scaling aspects of river flow routing, Hydrological Processes, 15(3), 461-477.
- Arora, V.K., and Boer, G.J. (1999) A variable velocity flow routing algorithm for GCMs, J. Geophy. Res., 104 (D24), 30965-30979.
- Arora, V.K., Chiew, F.H.S. and Grayson, R.B. (1999) A river flow routing scheme for general circulation models, J. Geophy. Res., 104 (D12), 14347-14357
Subgrid Scale Variability of Hydrological Variables
- Arora, V.K., F.H.S. Chiew, and R.B. Grayson (2001) Effect of sub-grid scale variability of soil moisture and precipitation intensity on surface runoff and streamflow, J. Geophy. Res., 106(D15), 17073-17091
Global and Continental Scale Water Balance
- Arora, V.K. and G.J. Boer (2006) The temporal variability of soil moisture and surface hydrological quantities in a climate model, J. Clim., 19(22), 5875-5888.
- Arora, V.K. and G.J. Boer (2003) An analysis of simulated runoff and surface moisture fluxes in CCCma coupled atmosphere land surface hydrological model, proceedings of International Congress on Modelling and Simulation, MODSIM 2003, Vol. 1, pp. 166-171, July 14-17, Townsville, Queensland, Australia.
- Arora, V.K. and G.J. Boer (2003) The temporal variability of soil moisture and surface hydrological quantities, CAS/JSC WGNE Research Activities in Atmospheric and Oceanic Modelling, Report No. 33, May 2003, WMO/TD No. 1161, pp. 7.1-7.2.
- Arora, V.K., and Boer, G.J. (2002) A GCM-based assessment of simulated global moisture budget and the role of land-surface moisture reservoirs in processing precipitation, Climate Dynamics, 20(1), 13-29.
- Arora, V.K. (2001) Assessment of simulated water balance for continental-scale river basins in an AMIP II simulation, J. Geophy. Res., 106(D14), 14827-14842.
- Arora, V.K. (2001) Streamflow simulations for continental scale river basins in a global atmospheric general circulation model, Advances in Water Resources, 24(7), 775-791.
- Arora, V.K., and Boer, G.J. (2001) Moisture processing at the land surface in CCCma AGCM3, CAS/JSC WGNE Research Activities in Atmospheric and Oceanic Modelling, Report No. 31, April 2001, WMO/TD No. 1064, pp. 7.1-7.2.
- Arora, V.K., Chiew, F.H.S. and Grayson, R.B. (2000) Use of river runoff to test the CSIRO9 land surface scheme in the Amazon and the Mississippi River Basins, Intl. J. of Climatology, 20(10), 1077-1096.
- Arora, V.K., Chiew, F.H.S. and Grayson, R.B. (1997) Surface hydrology in global climate models: how good is it? Proceedings of the 24th International Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, November 1997, Auckland, New Zealand, pp. 367-372
Climate Change/Variability Impact on Hydrology
- Whitfield. P.H., P.J. Pilon, D.H. Burn, V. Arora, H.F. Lins, T. Ouarda, C.D. Sellars, and C. Spence (2004) Climate Variability and Change . Rivers and Streams, in Threats to Water Availability in Canada, NWRI Scientific Assessment Report Series No. 3 and ACSD Scientific Assessment Series No. 1, National Water Research Institute, Meteorological Service of Canada, 85-90 pp.
- Arora, V.K. (2002) The use of aridity index to assess climate change effect on annual runoff, J. Hydrol., 265(1-4), 164-177.
- Arora, V.K. (2002) Studying climate change impact on rivers within the framework of global climate models, Technical Bureau Supplement, Water News, Newsletter of the Canadian Water Resources Association, March 2002, pp. 19-25.
- Arora, V.K. (2001) The potential impact of climate change on Mackenzie River basin hydrology, CWRA BC Branch Conference, Changing Water Environments: Research and Practice, Whistler, Canada, May 2001..
- Arora, V.K., and Boer, G.J. (2001) Effects of simulated climate change on the hydrology of major river basins, J. Geophy. Res., 106 (D4), 3335-3348.
- Arora, V.K., and Boer, G.J. (2000) The effects of simulated climate change on the hydrology of major river basins, CAS/JSC WGNE Research Activities in Atmospheric and Oceanic Modelling, Report No. 30, February 2000, WMO/TD No. 987, pp. 7.1-7.2.
- Date Modified: