Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada. You can request alternate formats on the Contact Us page.
Internal Audit of CMC Renovation Project
This audit used a multiple-lines-of-evidence approach as summarized in the table below. This approach allowed the audit team to bring together information from different sources to formulate findings and support conclusions.
|Field Work and Analysis||Details|
|Background Document Review||Feb - March 2005|
|A site visit to CMC Dorval||March 2005|
|Contract review of Master Contract and amendments for contract for Architectural and Engineering Services||All transactions|
|Contract review of Master Contract and amendments for contract for Capital Construction Services||All transactions|
|Interviews with CMC Dorval personnel||3 interviews|
|Review of Government Contracting Regulations||March 2005|
|Review of Financial Administration Act provisions||March 2005|
As a starting point, the project team undertook a review of initial background documentation on the departmental use of this delegation. Subsequently, we conducted field work at the CMC Dorval site and reviewed contract documents with the participation of facilities management staff. Documents reviewed included:
- Departmental documents including: Preliminary Project Approval (PPA) and Effective Project Approval (EPA) for the renovation project at the Canadian Meteorological Centre (CMC) in Dorval, Quebec.
- Memorandum of Agreement of Settlement made and entered into in the City of Montreal Province of Quebec dated July 1997 between 101430 Canada Inc. and Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canada as represented by the Minister of Public Works and Government Services, (the Property Management Agreement).
- Documents requesting Preliminary Project Approval (PPA) and Effective Project Approval (EPA) for the renovation project at the Canadian Meteorological Centre (CMC) in Dorval Quebec.
- Investment Analysis Report – Project Approval Expansion at the Canadian Meteorological Centre (CMC) in Dorval Quebec, prepared by Jean-Claude Goudreau, Facility Manager January 2002.
- Letter from Environment Canada to Euma Investments Ltd, dated September 11, 2001 confirming Property Management Agreement termination.
- Letter from Euma Investments Ltd and 101430 Canada Inc. dated May 5, 1998 assigning the interests of 101430 Canada Inc. to Euma Investments Ltd pursuant to the provisions of the Property Management Agreement, consented to on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canadaby Alistair Kellie, Director Computers and Telecommunications Canadian Meteorological Centre, Environment Canada.
- Letter from Euma Investments Ltd dated June 20, 2002 “Re: Agrandissement du sous-sol au Centre Météo Canada” addressed to Regional Manager, Client Service Unit.
- Authorization for the Exercise of Capital Construction and Architectural and Engineering Services given by Treasury Board for the Capital Construction of Canadian Meteorological Centre, dated February 15, 2002signed by Minister of the Environment, David Anderson.
- Projet d’agrandissement du sous-sol – Travaux réalisés par l’expert conseil – modalités et conditions, février 14, 2002. (proposal fromMLC associés experts conseils).
- Contracting documents related to the transaction with MLC associés experts conseils in respect to agreements and accepted trade rules.
- Contract for Service between Her Majesty in Right of Canada as represented by Environment Canada and Euma Investments Ltd. dated June 20, 2002, contract number 02-EUMA-04.
- All contracting documents related to the renovation project in Dorval.
We also interviewed the members of the CMC who were most involved in the administration and direction of the renovation project contract including:
Jean Claude Goudreau - Facilities Manager CMC
Mario Béliveau – Financial Officer - CMC
Pierre Dubreuil – Director General – CMC
Our interviews reviewed the history of the memorandum of agreement, the Property Management Agreement, the practices and processes involved in completing the renovation contract and the assessment of the degree to which the increased Ministerial authority had assisted in the completion of the project.
- Date Modified: