Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the Contact Us page.
Help the Government of Canada organize its website!
Complete an anonymous 5-minute questionnaire. Start now.
Threats to Water Availability in Canada
- Publishing Information
- Environment Canada Steering Committee, Production Team, Editors, Authors, External Reviewers
- Threats to Water Availability in Canada - A Perspective
- Short Chapter Summaries
- 1. Water Allocations, Diversion and Export
- 2. Dams, Reservoirs and Flow Regulation
- 3. Droughts
- 4. Floods
- 5. Municipal Water Supply and Urban Development
- 6. Manufacturing and Thermal Energy Demands
- 7. Land Use Practices and Changes - Agriculture
- 8. Land-Use Practices and Changes - Forestry
- 9. Land-Use Practices and Changes - Mining and Petroleum Production
- 10. Climate Variability and Change - Groundwater Resources
- 11. Climate Variability and Change - Rivers and Streams
- 12. Climate Variability and Change - Lakes and Reservoirs
- 13. Climate Variability and Change - Wetlands
- 14. Climate Variability and Change - Crysophere
- 15. Integrated and Cumulative Threats to Water Availability
To obtain additional copies:
Science Liaison Branch
National Water Research Institute
867 Lakeshore Road, P.O. Box 5050
Burlington, ON L7R 4A6
Science Assessment and Integration Branch (SAIB)
Meteorological Service of Canada
4905 Dufferin Street
National Library of Canada Cataloguing in Publication
Threats to water availability in Canada.
(NWRI scientific assessment report series, ISSN 1499-5905; no. 3)
(ACSD science assessment series; no. 1)
Issued also in French under title: Menaces pour la disponibilité de l'eau au Canada.
Includes bibliographical references.
Cat. no. En40-237/3-2004E
1. Water-supply--Canada. 2. Water-supply--Environmental aspects--Canada. 3. Water quality management--Canada. 4. Water--Pollution--Canada.
I. National Water Research Institute (Canada) II. Meteorological Service of Canada. Atmospheric and Climate Science Directorate III. Series. IV. Series: ACSD science assessment series; no. 1.
TD226.T47 2004 333.91'00971 C2004-900155-8
This report may be cited as follows:
Environment Canada. 2004. Threats to Water Availability in Canada. National Water Research Institute, Burlington, Ontario. NWRI Scientific Assessment Report Series No. 3 and ACSD Science Assessment Series No. 1. 128 p.
Cover photo: Tangle Falls, Banff, Alberta. Copyright: Corel Corporation.
Photo credits: The Steering Committee thanks various Environment Canada staff for use of their photos in this report. Also thanked are Keith Bridger (chapter 1), Hydro-Québec (chapter 2), T.J. Pultz (chapter 4), D.W. Schindler (chapter 8), Chris Hopkinson (chapter 14), and Charles Priddle (chapter 15).
- Date Modified: